Sign in to follow this  

Adjustment question

03 DRZ S model with race tech springs. It handels well except when in sand the front end tries to wash out. Question is do I increase or decrease the dampning and or rebound. 😢

Had the same problem even with a knobby on the front. Got the spring rate and springs I needed from race tech, er TT and it sticks real well now 😢.

Have a GOOD VOTE DAY 😢😢

I have race tech springs and the bike handels better. The front end wants to wash out in the sand even when I keep my weight back.I'm not talking deep sand, just mild stuff. My question is do I increase the dampning decrease rebound etc. for sand? The bike was very squirrley and I did not like the feel at all. Just trying to get tips from someone who knows what they are doing cause I don't. Thanks.

If your front end is washing out, I assume it happens when you're turning. It is usually best to have your weight forward while turning to put more weight on the front tire. At the same time, make sure the rear tire is driving (throttle is not closed) so that the front tire is driven forward and can be used to steer properly.

As for sand riding, it's been my experience that as the sand gets deeper, I like to stiffen both compression and rebound as well as reduce tire pressures at both ends. If you do a lot of sand riding, you might need a soft terrain tire like a Dunlop 773. I have one on the rear of my XR400 and it's worked well.

Sand is difficult even with a great suspension.

You should try riding sand with a different attitude.

Instead of putting all your faith in the front wheel when you would like to change directions, try starting the turn

with your front wheel, then shift your weigh toward the rear wheel and use your throttle to get the rear wheel to finish the turn. InOtherWords, gas it.

Everyone who tries to turn their bike in sand with the front wheel will struggle. There is probably nothing wrong with your suspension. 😢

It is not as easy as it sounds, but it does work better.

I realize all riding environments are different, but in the sand turns I've encountered (usually low speed) I don't recall a time when shifting to the rear would have been helpful. Maybe that would be helpful at high speed. I do agree that keeping the throttle open is VERY important regardless.

Though it does take a different riding style to ride sand. If your front wheel is washing out you generally increase rebound dampening.

I'm a relatively "new" rider (last time I rode regularly was 20 yrs ago), but I pretty much agree with Mathprof... Since I've started riding again it's been almost entirely on sand tracks. I've gotten pretty comfortable taking sand turns at a good rate of speed by sitting close to the tank (not on it) and STARTING the turn with the front wheel. I've developed a feel for when the nose is about to wash out and that's when I goose it and let the rear swing around to point me in the right direction. Just roll it on from there and you've got it! It's a learned technique and definitely not natural if you've ridden primarily dirt, but it works like a charm in heavy sand turns... I'll probably bite it the first time I ride a real dirt track again. 😢