Sign in to follow this  

? for Dwight

Ever hear of a fork spring for an XR400 rated at more than .47kg? According to everything I have been able to pick up, I need a fork spring higher, say .49-.53kg, and .47kg is the max spring I have been able to find after checking Eibach and Progressive.

Robert 😢

Yea, checked racetech too....At 260lbs, I'm thinking the .47 will be an improvement, but still lacking. Even if I were at what I would consider an ideal weight for my frame, 225, I think the .47 would be a hair light. And I'm not likely to see 225 anytime soon!

Anyone familiar with the ratio method of rating springs? I could use some info on that as well!

Thanks,

Robert 😢

I would think that .46kg would be fine. I think you are reading too much into some of those recommendations. I hear of guys running .46 springs but only weight 180lbs. I think that way too stiff. I found that .42kg springs are great for someone weighing 180 or so .

Cher'o,

Dwight

Thanks for the suggestions, Kev and Dwight!

I probably am concentrating on the charts too much, since forks work is new to me. Boy have they changed since the last foks I worked on, '72 XL250.....

Still gonna shoot for a 46 or 47 spring, after installing a ziptie telltale at Durhamtown, I definitely need to get something up front!

Robert 😢

after installing a ziptie telltale at Durhamtown, I definitely need to get something up front

Okay, I'll bite: what's a "ziptie telltale"?

put a ziptie on the fork tube, when the forks compress, the ziptie slides up. This will show you maximum compression you have reached. Lets just say that with stock springs, I am using every bit of fork tube available!

Robert 😢

You could have a spring maker make them for you. I had .46kg springs made for less than half the price of brand name units.

I'm about 200. Gasp! And 225 with gear and a fully loaded Camelback.

The 0.43kg springs work fine for me. And will work fine if I get back to 180.

You will find 0.47kg to be pretty stiff.

Look at the Parts for sale section or eBay or the Yahoo XR400 group.

There might be some 0.47kg springs for sale.

If not, you can buy new ones through the ThumperTalk store.

U could try adding a spacer or shimming the .47s Im ur weight and I use .46 springs from race tech and they were a little soft but they came with a tube to cut spacers from, so I added a one inch shim to both forks and it seems alot stiffer then with out the spacer. It also makes the bike seat height like 38 inches if u crank the back seat up if ur a tall guy