Durability with the Older 400/426s

How are your older YZs holding up? From my observations it looks like the big Yamaha 4 stroke engines are holding up pretty good compared to all the issues you hear with some of the other brands and especially the 250s.

I was considering picking up another 400/426 (wish I had kept my '98) as a second bike for trail riding. I currently have a nice woods bike ('04 200exc)for the riding that I do here in western Washington. I can live with the stiffer MX suspension and flywheel weight requirements for the 400/426. The bottom line is budget requirements, my thoughts are that there are # of older YZs out there that still have some life left in them for under $2500. I'm afraid of the high hour 250s and just love the snort of the big bores. I like the close ratio YZ transmission and slim MX tank/seat combo. I just wanted to throw this question out there and see what's up. Thanks in advance.

Andy ?

the big YZF's are about as durable as they get. They are machines though and prone to failure if abused or not maintained. It is not to say I have never seen a YZF failure but by my own experiences (ThumperTalk, My bike, alot of friend's bikes) they very very durable.

The 426's at least are as durable as granite. Almost the only thing I hear of happening to one that's been cared for at all is an occasional worn or, rarely, broken 4th or 5th gear. There is an issue with trapped grit under the chain slider causing abrasion to the swing arm, but it's preventable, and it applys to all YZs since '97, at least.

They are a remarkable piece of work.

Hey guys thanks for responding. ? That's what I was thinking. The smaller 250s have to be run pretty hard to get any power out of them so I defaulted to the thought process of "bigger is better" wear and tear wise. Although it is more wear and tear on me in the woods! I guess it's the sound and feel of the big bore YZ that I miss when you're rolling it on. It looks like the 400/426 is one of the safer routes to take concerning an older bike. One can always end up with a can of worms but there are signs to look for with a poorly maintained machine. It's a roll of the dice but I think worth it for the riding that I'll be doing. Thanks again.

Andy

Hey,

I'm a member of the Blown third gear club. I know 4 guys that had 426's, all different levels of riders. 3 of us blew third gear or bent a shift fork. Get a magnetic drain plug and pray to the transmission gods.

How much time was on the bikes?

Yea....Ive never had a problem with mine...just normal wear and tear. I change the oil every few rides along with the airfilter....I just finally smoked my clutch after 4 years of abuse!....I ride the bike to the rev limiter all the time...I pretty much beat the crap out of that bike everytime I ride and it still wants more....Def a good solid bike.

Mike

I blew my 00 yz426 up after a lot of high speed riding on fire roads. The lower con rod bearing fell apart. ruined the crank pin and the rod (and the bearing/cage). No other signs of unusual wear or damage. I was using dino(non synth) oil and had let the oil change slip to the 5th or 6th ride. I think this happened due to old oil. I was hammering it pretty hard for extended rides and I was at altitude (5200 ft). ?

I was using dino(non synth) oil and had let the oil change slip to the 5th or 6th ride. I think this happened due to old oil. I was hammering it pretty hard for extended rides and I was at altitude (5200 ft). ?

Good example of how important oil and CLEAN oil at that is for these engines....they aren't XR400 engines...they are HOT RODS.