Sign in to follow this  

How many YZF250 riders (women) are out there?

The guys are always talking about this mod, that mod.

So, if you are riding a YZF250, what have you done to it and why? I ride Hare Scambles and after years of racing KX's, it took me a while to learn to ride the thing. But, it's the most nimble bike I think I ever ridden! 😢 I've had it since '03, my second year racing on it and I had the valves looked at once and they didn't need adjusting. Keep the oil changed along with minor stuff like tires, bars, softer seat, etc. My husband calls it 'bullet proof'. Can't wait until the aluminum frames come out.

But that stock seat is awful.

I'm wondering about an '05 CRF250. I think I want another toy (I'm keeping the YZF!) but scared of the valve problems.

I've got an '04 YZ250F, mods I've done are in my sig... it was my first dirt bike, and it took a while before I even felt like I WANTED 'more power'... but now I LOVE my Dr. D pipe! The majority of the rest of the mods are more ergonomics or 'crash' equipment, I like the fatty bars 'cause they're wider & more durable, for example... replaced that plastic skid plate with the works metal one... I don't race anything (YET!), and ride pretty much 50/50 track and trail.

The jetting is stock and will likely remain that way as I've had no trouble with it... I would LOVE to get my suspension revalved and loose a tooth on the rear sprocket for dez season, the 'big guns' I ride with typically leave me in the dust winding out in 5th gear in the washes

Christi rides a YZ250F also, she's been riding a few years longer than me and might have a different perspective on the mods she likes! 😢

I ride an '02 YZ250F with '03 cam. I changed out to Race Tech suspension and the BBR kick lever. I changed the bars too but that's about it. I love my bike and couldn't imagine riding another.

I ride an '02 YZ250F with '03 cam. I changed out to Race Tech suspension and the BBR kick lever. I changed the bars too but that's about it. I love my bike and couldn't imagine riding another.

How do you like the suspension, Kim? I've been trying to save my pennies but its EXPENSIVE... is it mega worth it? 😢

And whats that 'kick lever' about? 😢

The suspension is way worth it. Stock springs are for a 180 lb rider and I weigh in around 140 ish.

The BBR kick lever is because it was 1" longer and easier to get a good 'stroke' for shorter riders (I'm 5'7")

😢

The suspension is way worth it. Stock springs are for a 180 lb rider and I weigh in around 140 ish.

Huh, I always thought it was for around 160... I'm 155 so figured I might not need that replaced... 😢

The BBR kick lever is because it was 1" longer and easier to get a good 'stroke' for shorter riders (I'm 5'7")

😢

i didn't know they made those! Thats good to know for my shorter friends (I'm 5'10" so kicking usually isn't a prob for me personally, though.) Thanks for the info! 😢

I ride an 04 YZ250F also. It has had the suspension done and I run a FMF T4 pipe on it.

I believe the suspension guy used Factory Connection springs on mine. I also had the forks re-valved. What a huge difference!!! What an awesome bike, way fast!! 😢 :cry:

I have an 02' YZ250F and so far iv gotten new decals and a yoshi pipe,but the yoshi pipe was on their when i bought it.i love it tho soo loud and sweet sounded 😢.and now im gonna get the decomp mod for my bike to i heard its really good. 😢 :cry:

I have an 03' YZ250f. The motor has had nothing done it. The suspension was done by Pro Action and is set up for a 140lb rider and I weigh 120. That was the closed spring size they could get, but it works ok

i ride a yz250f i got my suspension lowered 3 inches but im getting it set back up again"

Why are you raising it back up again?

Starr, I can't speak for Y329 personally, but many times once shorter riders get used to their bikes they like to raise them back up! First, although there are ways to satisfactorily lower them for everyday riding, if you go too low it changes the handling of the bike, which gets more noticable at speed as you loss some stability... second, higher bikes have better ground clearance for climbing over stuff!! Finally, you lose the 'action' in your suspension if you lower it... for example, if you hit a big jump and land funny, in a 'normal' set up you'll have (for example) 12 inches of shock to absorb the blow... in a shortened set-up, I believe this is adversely effected, as you'll only have 9 inches of shock to absorb the blow.

These are all just my guesses, I've never had to lower my bikes, I'm 5'10"! 😢

DJ - also not speaking for Y329, but I can tell ya you hit the nail on the head. Hubby is not considered tall. When he first bought the XR400, he put in the lowering link, dropped the bike a bit AND shaved his seat. Now, 6 months later, the lowering link is gone, the bike is lifted back up and I just had to buy him a new seat for our anniversary. The lowering gave him the ability to get used to how it handled, but it acted funny at speed and the clearance wasn't there for the rocks. He's much more comfortable on the bike (read confident); therefore he felt capable of handling it back in it's TALL mode 😢 Clear as mud? 😢

I had mine lowered when I first got it until I got used to it. The suspension isn't at it's best when lowered so once I began jumping and needed my suspension back, I had it raised and suspension set for my weight and skill level.