Sign in to follow this  

Indoor winter trials riding

I was looking at our real estate listings and came across a portion of farm land that had a 36' x 48' quonset on it. You know those long metal, pointy top buildings that you see on farms for storing tractors and other big equipment.

I got to thinking that that is about 75% of the size of my house lot. Wouldn't that be awesome to have one of those with a dirt floor to ride a trials bike inside of in the winter?

Logs and Rocks could be brought in to create a bit of a challenging course.

I could probably be quite happy spending an afternoon riding there.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? 😢😢

Hmmmm, I wonder how much a quonset costs to build? 😢

Good Idea. But maybe not enough Trials Riders around to make a business out of it unless some of the indoor Moto-Cross tracks could add a Trials area to what they already have. 😢 - But I'd pay something to ride there.

Hmmmm.. Maybe an inflatable cover like they use for some tennis courts or swimming pools would work.

Oooo... check these out:

Pneumatic Structures

Magna Buildings

However, if you are rich, who cares?!? 😢

(The booming voice from nowhere)

"Build it and they will come"

Who is "they" ? The riders? or the Bank to repossess it? 😢😢 J/K of course.

i think that sounds like a great idea.

if you're trying to make it pay for itself, the fact that it's a trials complex should keep your insurance and liability at a minimum. check with your provider but i'm pretty sure there's a separate type of insurance out there that covers "non-speed" type complexes.

the only catch would be if there's a market large enough to support the place. you could grow the market yourself by advertising it as a good option for mxers and off roaders to keep in shape and have fun during the winter.

you could even get as fancy as having a "pro shop" with used bikes, gear and what not. or a rental fleet of trials bikes.

i'd also consider having a mini TT track (say for 50s, 100s, and 150s) to help pull in more business, but then you involve "speed" related riding and that could drive insurance up.

either way i think it's a great idea.

That is a great idea. I live in Idaho, and the winters can be very boring. So me and some friends asked a farmer if we could set up a course in an old unused barn ( dirt floor). A bit cold at times, but lots better than watching the snow fall.

I see you are from SK just like Cover-All. Those buildings look sweet. Do you think that they are cheaper than the standard galvanized metal quonset? The metal ones were about $15k-20k. Any comments on the amount snow that they could take? I guess if they are from Saskatoon that they would work in snow. 😢

I'm just dreaming at this point. I think it could work too. 😢

That is a great idea. I live in Idaho, and the winters can be very boring. So me and some friends asked a farmer if we could set up a course in an old unused barn ( dirt floor). A bit cold at times, but lots better than watching the snow fall.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Awesome. 😢

good idea, but may be a bear to heat, $$$ , figuring you have to suck out all the exhaust fumes ...