Sign in to follow this  

problem with transmission oil

when i took the bolt out to drain the tranny oil, barely any oil dripped out. I checked and there was a bunch of oil still in there. i hav no clue what to do, i also replaced the oil filter

I would take a wire (coathanger, piece of plumbing solder) and poke it in the drain hole. That hole runs all the way through and comes out behind the clutch basket.

Worst case, you pull the basket and see if somethings plugging it.

How are you so sure there's oil in it? Pull the 10mm inspection plug on the right side and lean it over and see if any oil comes out.

Nice screen name...jugs,sex,motox....to bad there's no brains in it 😢

Are you sure your pulled the drain bolt and not one of the side cover bolts? I had a friend do the same thing.

You may not be nuts...

I did my first 250 oil change last night. I pulled both plugs ( and yes, the correct plugs 😢 ),turned my back for a moment, and when I went back to the bike the motor was draining and the tranny wasn't. Either the tranny drained really fast on not much came out.

I refilled by volume. I'm going to go pull the oil level check bolt and see how much "overflow oil " there is.

Your doing something wrong, on the left side of the bike under the shifter is the tranny oil drain bolt, 600ml will come out of that drain, anyway fill it with 600ml and don't worry about the check bolt, when you drain the tranny oil next time just measure it, you will still have 600ml.

There are 3 simple possiblities:

1. There was no oil in the trasmission. This is not likely. If so may your clutch rest in pieces.

2. Vaccuum: If you did not loosen or remove the trasmission filler cap it's possible that vacuum is holding the fluid in place. This would be especailly true if you previously used a heavier gear oil with a higher viscosity that will not flow well.

3. You thought you pulled the trasmission drain plug ( It's the bolt under the shifter)and did not get the correct one.

Cory and PCD,

Excuse my confusion and error, I'm used to the 450 with both drains on the side. I had tranny and motor drains switched in my mind. The tranny drain, under the shift lever, had the normal flow out. The engine drain ( bottom of cases) was the one that was questionable.

PCD,

I had thought of your vaccuum theory, but in my mix up I loosened the tranny cap. I didn't loosen the engine filler cap,though I normally do . The funny thing is, I did a final doublecheck of the engine level on the dip stick, after filling, and the level was OK at the top of the range. It didn't look way overfilled.

Needless to say, I'm going to go home and double check both oil levels! Thanks for the help.

😢