Sign in to follow this  

A few questions. tires/bars/engine

I have an 02 crf450 and im looking to get a few parts for it.

1. Im looking to get a new set of tires. I ride mostly loose leafy stuff, and mud. Sometimes rocky drier conditions. What is a good all around tire. Also where is the best place to get them? Front and rear.

2. What is a good pair of bars, under 100 dollars? I love the tags only im not looking to spend 200+ on a pair right now. What other options do i have?

3. I have quite a few hours on my 02 crf, i have checked the valves a few times, all times they where dead on. I have been real good about oil changes, and filter cleaning. I do not race, so its not like i have been bouncing off the limiter at all. My question is, should i replace the piston? What will happen if i just ride it as is till it looses compression? When i do replace the piston i plan on putting in a weiseco 12:1 or something around that. Would that be a good choice?

4. And finally, the airbox. I have heard that it leaks. How does it leak? What i did was take the lazy way out and put a bead of sylicone aroudn the outside seam of the airbox. Is this a good enough solution? Or should i buy a kit and do it the right way?

Thanks for reading. Sorry about the questions, just had a lot of things i had to get answers to.

Ryan

first off: tires.......great all around is the maxxis IT. it has huge knobs and wears REALLY good. its also the cheapest tire around. i am running the front and rear combo and i paid i think 100 dollars total from www.rockymountainmc.com

next question....the stock renthals that came on my bike have been very durable. i don't know much about bars though. someone else should def. chime in on the bars.

as for the piston....if it was me, i'd ride it till it loses compression, then go ahead and put the Wiseco 12:1.

and for the air box, i have an 04 so i don't know. but i do know that silicone is a wonderful invention and that it probably fixed your leak. if you had one, you'd know it by now.

but definately go for at least the Maxxis IT on your rear tire. it is a roost throwing monster that seems (to me) to hook up real well in most all conditions. 😢

Hey, thanks for the help. I think im gunna take your word for it and go a head and order those maxxis tires. As for the stock bars, they arent bad, but i think they upgraded them on the newer years. Mine have a slight tweak in them so i could definatly use a new pair.