Sign in to follow this  

Kids bikes

I am considering buying a Honda CRF50F for my 7 year old. My question is do these bikes require as much maintenance as big bike?

Does the airfilter get dirty as fast? etc. etc.

😢

Thanks for reminding me. I need to do an oil change and replace my air filter. Not sure if the maintenence is the same as the big bikes. I don't have a big bike to know from. I am sure someone will help you out though.

Replace the air filter? Does it have a foam filter that can be washed and reused or does it have to be replaced like regular car filter? 😢

EASY EASY EASY - I just got into bikes a year ago and I had never even changed the oil in my car by myself. I've found the maintenance on these little bikes to be easy, quick, and actually sort of fun. I bought a 70 for my son first and all you have to do is clean the air filter every so often - get a foam filter kit from your Honda shop that has the solvent and oil. The hardest part of that task is getting the airbox cover out of your way in that small frame so you can actually remove the filter (note how it comes out the first time and you'll save an hour of cursing..."I know this #@*% thing goes in here"....when it comes time to put it back on. Changing the oil takes all of 5 minutes. The spark plug is also a cinch to change when needed (more often if your kid rides it in 3rd gear at 4 mph!!). Since these things aren't cheap, if your kid is even CLOSE to fitting a 70, consider buying that instead of the 50 - you'll be surprised how fast they grow out of 'em. I just bought the 70 last year for my son's first bike and he is already riding my sister-in-law's XR100 (that's he can't even touch the ground on). Course, you could get a 50, let your kid grow out of it, then keep it for YOU - that's what I'm doing with my 70. 😢

Hey man i see you have a couple of questions there about maintenance of a little bike. Between me, my father, and my brother we have four bikes ranging from my Thumpstar110 to 2003 KX 250. I am well aware of what u mean as far as care to the bigger bikes. First off witht he little 50's they are built to run do their job and be easy to maintain that is one of their selling points alone. Some things that you have keep up with are just like changing the oil depending on the amount of riding times you put in. IN mybig bikes i change the oil every 2 rides but with a little bike i would say you could extend that to a longer length of time. The airfilters wont get dirty as quickly but it is still a good idea to keep an eye on them since they can rob horsepower if they are all "caked" up.

hope this help alil feel free to ask more questions i'd be happy to help

Eric

Since these things aren't cheap, if your kid is even CLOSE to fitting a 70, consider buying that instead of the 50 - you'll be surprised how fast they grow out of 'em.

I wish I could get the 70 because that would be a better pit bike later (for me and maybe the wife) but my girl is 6 and the XR50 is a bit of a stretch. The lines on the wall got 3 inches higher in 6 months.

Thanks for the advise. That's what I was hoping for with the little bikes. I have enough of my own maintenance to keep me busy. 😢

The airfilters wont get dirty as quickly but it is still a good idea to keep an eye on them since they can rob horsepower if they are all "caked" up.

That's exactly was I hoping to hear !! 😢

I bought a new XR50R in '02. I find i only need to change the oil about once a year, and the airfilter twice. Depending on how much riding he does of course. Usually it isn't as dusty/muddy as when we ride, so it doesn't meed as much maint.

He's probably too big for the 50 though. Check out the XR70 & TT-R90.