Sign in to follow this  

Adventure Ride - Race Report & pics attached

I am thinking about doing this race this weekend. Not that I need anymore punishment but... Chuck Stealy is known for putting on some tough courses. Inside source says it will actually be more like 90 miles rather than the 80 posted.

Here is some more info.

Adventure Enduro

ISDE Style

November 7, 2004 - Jacksonville, Oregon

What is it? Similar to the International Six Days Enduro but just one day. It is a fun and challenging cross country course of

trails and roads 40 to 80 miles, length depending on what class you ride. You will start 3 riders per minute, experts first, amateurs

later. There are check points where you can rest if you arrive on time. There are several short “special tests” where you will be

timed. Finishers will receive a gold, silver, or bronze medal.

Equipment No computers, odometers, or lights needed. You do need a quiet muffler with spark arrestor for the strict 99db

sound test, three number plates with assigned numbers, and an OHV sticker (available at sign up). No refunds if you fail sound test.

Location Go west on Hwy 238 one mile from Jacksonville, Oregon and turn right on Jacksonville Reservoir Rd. Follow the

arrows for 3 mile to the MRA club grounds. The road has been graded and improved.

Accommodations Free primitive camping at club grounds. Local motels are Stage Lodge 541-899-3953,

Best Western 541-779-5085, Magnolia Inn 541-899-0255.

Memberships AMA membership mandatory and available at signup. OMRA membership optional but needed for season

points. MRA membership optional but will help keep and make places to ride in Oregon.

Time Signup, tech inspection, and impound 7:00 am to 9:20 am Sunday. First experts start at 10:00 am. First amateurs

start about 10:20. Riders meeting at 9:30 am.

Entry $35 pre entry received by NOVEMBER 1st. Post entry $45.

Pre entry highly recommended to receive pre race info and numbers. Minors must have legal guardian at sign up or

notarized permission form. No refunds unless race is cancelled.

Send entries to MRA 3850 Pioneer Rd Medford OR 97501 (don’t forget the self addressed stamped envelope).

For information call Chuck or Derek at 541-535-4299 or go to www.motorcycleridersassoc.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Entry Form

Name______________________________________________OMRA #___________________

Address_______________________________________________Age______________________

City__________________________________State_______________ZIP___________________

E-mail_______________________________Phone Number______________________________

Circle one class

Long course - Expert Medium Course - Amateur Short Course - Amateur

AA Ex 200 Ex Open Am Age 30 Am Sportsman Women

Open Ex Age 30 Ex 250 Am Age 40 Am Age 50 Age 60

250 Ex Age 40 Ex 200 Am Juniors (age 14 + under, 105cc)

Enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for pre race info and number assignment. To ride with a friend on the

same course length staple entries together. Make checks to MRA. No Refunds.We do not supply medical insurance.

FREE ISDE TRAINING WORKSHOP

November 6, 2004 Noon – 4:00 pm Saturday before the race.

Learn the basics of racing ISDE events from real ISDE racers. Two time International Six Days Enduro

medalists Derek Steahly and Jeremy Puma, and local legend Mason Harrison will show you how to get

going in ISDE racing. Learn the rules. Get tips on bike setup and preparation. Get one on one training and

skill building in rocks, roots, ruts, log crossings, cornering, braking, line choice, riding teqnique.

The cost is free when you buy a new one year membership to the MRA and race entry. Class size limited so

sign up soon. MRA membership is $10. Call Derek or Chuck Steahly at 541-535-4299 for more info or to

reserve your spot. You may also sign up with your race entry.

Sign me up!!!! Name____________________________ Phone_____________________

Anyone interested? 😢

Racinace

Sounds like a fun time. Is this event anything like some of the ISDE events in the Bellingham, WA area? Special tests where you're looking at course arrows over a drop off and wondering, where the heck is the trail?

What's the terrain like? Mountainous? Technical? Rocky? Fallen trees, roots, holes, etc?

Sounds like something I might want to consider.

What's the terrain like? Mountainous? Technical? Rocky? Fallen trees, roots, holes, etc?

Little bit of everything. Definately mountainous and technical. The second loop is reportedly going to be very tough!

All right, that's it. I can feel my legs again after the 24hr. Time for some tight & nasty trail racing.

I got it handed to me last time I raced there.

I'm game. 😢

- Ryan

We are planning on leaving on Saturday morning if you would like to ride down with us. Give me a call.

OK you guys, I will be doing one of the sound checks. I am the red headed old fart with the red MRA hat and glasses. Will also have on a long old denim coat. Say "Hi" when you come through Tech. 😢

Say "Hi" when you come through Tech.

we'll do! Looking forward to it. I guess I should get my bike out of the trailer and do some maintenance on it. Make sure that muffler is packed good and tight too!! 😢

Sorry to inform you but MRA menmbership is $15.00 not $10.00.

Ummmm OK.. Just posted the info off of the OMRA website.... which I think was linked to the MRA website...so I guess someone needs to update the info.. 😢

Still a great value... but not required to race as I understand it. You will need an AMA membership though right?

See you there.

Ace

Ace.

Some one is a little mixed up. M.R.A. yearly dues have been $15.00 since before I joined in 1970. And Yes, you do have to be a member to participate in any M.R.A. function.

Not a whole lot of money but it goes for a good cause. It helps us to purchase the property where the Start/Finish is located, plus other parcels that we own. 😢

Jim

Should be a good time. I have two of the three memberships and plan on renewing the other.

Like I said, I just copied and pasted from the site, but you are correct, someone is confused. 😢

See you there! Look for the Black F-150 towing a Tahoe Toy hauler. Big KTM / House of Horsepower sticker on the back.

Ace

Well... we came, we saw, and once again we got our arses handed to us.🤣 Not really...but it felt like it at times.

The day turned out to be absolutely beautiful. Perfect weather for racing!🤣

0630 we awoke to the sound of bikes warming up (what the heck were they doing anyway? 😢)

0700 up and moving but very slowly at this point🤣. Impound opened at 0730 and our bikes were through tech and sound check by 0830. (94DBA for my baby thumper!) That moose packing works great.🤣

I was on the 24th minute and one of the first AM's to hit the course. 10:24 and with a quick kick my beast fired to life and we were off and running. Riding in Jacksonville is really kool. The ground was somewhat similar to TSF but with a tad more sand. Traction was optimal. Heavy rains the week before and then a good 4 day stretch of sun made for ideal conditions.🤣 The trails were a mix of logging roads, two track, a lot of established single track and a bunch of brand new trails that you knew only existed by the pink flags hanging from the trees.🤣

Chuck Stealy and his boys did an awesome job of laying out the course and making it have something for everyone.🤣

I made the first check with plenty of time to spare... almost too much. 😢 Not sure if I made a wrong turn somewhere or not but I was way early to the first check... along with about 7 other guys running close to my minute. (Will have to wait and see what the results show) The first special test was a wild one. Sent us bombing down a gravel / dirt road with massive puddles in it and then snaked out on to virgin trail with only markers hanging from the trees to find your way. The second special test sent you up a raveen that was really rutted and deep with a nasty mud hole in the middle if you couldn't stay on the outer edge.🤣 From there it snaked up and down trails and onto more virgin single track🤣, then down a nasty down hill and on to more tight single track that was so tight in places you had to almost stop and wiggle the bars to get through but you couldn't stop because of the uphill you were on. From there this special test dumped into one hellish grass track. 😢 Were not talking "starvation ridge" type grass track, but rather some sick individual that ran this over a series of about 50 or so rain ruts 12-18" deep in places that were covered by grass!🤣 If you survived that, the track funneled down into a shoot for the final section of the special test. Option 1: Go straight and face approximately 15 logs, or in some cases several logs tied together that were ribboned off on either side. All were ribboned off on the sides to prevent you from going around them. See pics above. 😛 (Thanks for posting unklegeorge!) Option 2: Up the mountain and around the logs only to be met by 2 or 3 scattered logs as you made your way back down the mountain along with a good face slapper of a tree too.

I took option 1 and the logs on all three loops. Only once did I get into a bit of trouble. I carried the front end a bit too long and ended up stuffing the front wheel into the next group of logs 😢. I regrouped and got it going again. Saw quite a few riders kicking their bikes and cussin the logs.

On my second loop I washed out the front end on a downhill off camber section and spent the next 12 minutes trying to claw my way back to the trail again. I halled butt for the remainder of the sector and made it to the check only 30 seconds late 😉. Had a similar incident on my final loop and made it back with 2 minutes to spare.

Another kool special test was the "slow" TEST. In this section you had to creep as slowly as possible through a 6' wide x 40' long ribboned section. 😢 You had 60 seconds to kill in this section. When your front wheel crossed the line the clock started and it stopped when you put a foot down, hit the ribbon, or crossed the 40' line. I was able to kill about 21 seconds on each of my two attempts. You trials guys would have done really well on this one. 😢

If you didn't get the chance this year you should put it on you list of must do events next year.

Good to meet Jiminsooregon and ride with unklegeorge again. Great job by the MRA and the Stealy family. Thanks for taking the time to put on such a great event. 😢

😉

I love maddox, they always get some great photos, like this one:

prpv.jpg

Thanks to them for coming and snapping a few.

😢

Ryan was flyin. I am anxious to see the special test times....Should be pretty close! 😢

I knew that bottleneck hill on the 4th loop might just do me in! We should recognize how cool everyone was in helping each other and waiting turns. Tempers could have gone "snap" as we were all frustrated and most of us were running quite late that last lap.

Awesome event. I learned much. (Got schooled?)

I think one yellow ribbon across (on) the road where there was a cut off would have eliminated all the confusion. I enjoy the added difficulty of having to stop and look around, but some of the turns were in no way obvious.

Fantastic ideas on how to make the race fun to watch!

We need more of those events that allow people to see what the heck we do out there! Awesome use of terrain with minimal staff needed! MRA just proved there is no need for 100 volunteers to put on a good enduro! Nice job on trying to get results up quick. Cool to make the special test near the pits. We need a slow speed test in every event.

Still bugs me to see tearoffs out there on the trails from the spring race. OMRA needs to enforce the no tear off rule themselves (ourselves) if the club dosen't do it. I didn't see any new ones appear this weekend so good job folks.

One question i have is what is up with all the nails in the parking area? Is that an act of sabotage by greenies?

I try to buy from maddox every event he attends. 😢

r

That's a great shot of you Ryan.

Makes you look like a semi pro. 😢

I was just glad he wasn't around with the camera when I bought the farm in the special test.

Was very fun, and I learned quite a bit for the next ISDE too:

- When a kid starts his the special test on a 105 and you're ahead of your minuite ... Don't start your test until he's way out of the way.

- Put enough gas in the bike so you don't have to worry about hoofing it.

- I can make it 80 miles on a not quite full tank.

- Wear more body armor when riding in Jacksonville. Those spindly red trees hurt.

- Follow the flags and arrows, not the tracks. (That was clever, caught me on the first lap when the trail dead ended.

- Wear a watch.

😢

Now I just can't wait to do it again.

One question i have is what is up with all the nails in the parking area? Is that an act of sabotage by greenies?

The deal with the nails is that the area is a popular party spot, people bring up pallets to burn thus leaving all the nails behind, I have heard they are looking into some piece of equipment to remove them. I ride at John's Peak pratically every weekend and it bugs me too to see the garbage some people leave, even fellow riders. 😢