Sign in to follow this  

one more KLR problem

I recently replaced the clutch cable. Everything is working accept for one thing. Now when I stall out, I have to shift into neutral to start the bike again. I used to be able to just pull the clutch. I’ve tried tightening up the clutch, but then it doesn’t seem to engage properly. Any advise?

Thanks

Brian

There are a couple of "safety switches" on the bike, designed to prevent you from hitting the starter while the bike is in gear but you're not holding in the clutch.

When you changed the clutch cable, you inadvertently knocked the fragile and unreliable clutch safety switch out of adjustment. It's fastened to the clutch perch by two small screws.

I have no idea how to adjust it, as I just bypassed it when mine failed exactly as yours did. BTW the KLR also has a sidestand safety switch that can cause problems too.

It's not a simple cut'n'solder, here are instructions if you want to TAMPER WITH THE SAFETY INTERLOCKS at your own risk (like I did). "To bypass, disconnect the plug from the clutch switch underneath the cover on the instrument panel. Short the black/yellow and blue/red wires on the main harness with a jumper"

Yeah, I don't think I wanna mess with all that. With my mechanical skills, I'm bound to break something else. Thanks though, atleast I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about when I take it in to be looked at.