GYT-R Tank for 2003 WR450

Can somebody post the Yamaha P/N for the 3.4 gallon tank for the WR450 (2003)? What is a good price for this tank?

Also, are there any mods required to use this tank? For example, different shrouds, fuel line changes, etc?

Lastly, would a set of Unabiker or similar raditor guards / braces fit on a bike with the GYT-R tank?

Anybody have any additional comments on a tank like this? I won a gift certificate for the local Yamaha dealer and I am leaning toward getting this tank?

Thanks for all the help for TT'ers.

Dan

The GYT-R tank is identical to the Acerbis 3.4 gal tank because Acerbis makes both tanks. If you won a money gift certificate, the Acerbis tank in considerably cheaper than the GYT-R tank. Almost any Yamaha dealer should be able to order from Acerbis. I have a 2003 WR and the Devol Heavy Duty Radiator Guards work just fine with my Acerbis tank. You will have to buy YZ radiator shrouds. Some people have cut up their WR shrouds to make them fit the new tank and have been happy with the result, however. The hose that comes with either tank is too small for the hose fitting on the carburetor (it is going to crack and leak someday). Get a length of the same size hose that came with your Yamaha, it's the next size larger fuel hose (8mm I think) when compared to the Acerbis/GYT-R hose, it will work just fine on the Acerbis/GYT-R tank fittings. Go to a motorcycle shop for the hose, the outside diameter of automotive fuel hose is too large. Also, remember to buy enough of the larger Yamaha style hose clamps to fit the larger diameter fuel hose. I tried to re-engineer the suggested routing for the fuel lines and gave up. The suggested routing, even though it required lots of measuring and cutting, was the best plan to keep the fuel from overheating. The suggested routing requires you to put a big loop in the fuel hose to get to the fitting on the carburetor. I went to the hardware store and got a light weight spring that would fit over the outside of the hose to ensure that the hose would not collapse. You can find a listing of GYT-R products on the Yamaha website at <http://www.yamaha-motor.com> or visit your local Yamaha dealer. ?

I have had the tank for 7 months now and it is fabulous!

Picture can be found at this web link: http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/catalog_product_detail.asp?sid=2317446E-02X2K5K2004J12I31I15JPMQ690R0&CatalogCode=1121&LevelCode=9100&PartHeaderNumber=93960&ManufacturerCode=2&ProductCategoryCode=&CatalogTypeCode=&Second=

The Unabiker rad guards will not fit. I run Devols with modified Works connection braces that work like Unabiker's design. $245.00 is what i paid for it. Great quality. ?

I've got the blue and fits great and didn't notice the tank being any wider than stock. I have a problem with the metal plate leaking gas when filled to the top. I've checked the screws twice and they're tight. Will need to replace the seal most likely. I also had to cut the lower part of the right rear gaurd on the UNIBIKER's for them to work. I haven't had a problem with the gaurd bending yet, I have a friend that can weld and reform the gaurd to fit when ever I get a chance.

I found that gasoline swelled the Oring seal under the screw on cap. I cut it back to the right length and siliconed it place. No more leaks around the cap. I did this in the first month I had it and it has not failed in the last 6 months so I think Acerbis purchased O-rings of the wrong material for this tank. Easy permanent fix. I thought it was just mine since I got the tank when it first got on the market. ?

Thanks I'm gonna fix it tomorrow or maybe sometime next week. Has your tank become discolored around where it leaked? Mine has a green tint around the top now. I've got the bike stripped down now for it's bimonthy cleaning and inspection. Going to check the valve clearances for the first time, seems to be a little noisier than before. It also might be my imagination.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the Acerbis tank but I think it is the same as the GYRT

[image]Acerbis_tank_001.jpg[/image]

[image]Acerbis_tank_003.jpg[/image]

[image]Acerbis_tank_002.jpg[/image]

I have an acerbis tank and i want to buy a tall/soft seat. does anyone know if the yzf seat also fit the '04 wr. The yzf seat is about an inch longer than my wr seat so it will look bit nicer if i got the yzf seat.

[image]http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.oudenrijn/Foto's/acerbistank.JPG[/image]

I have the Acerbis tank but I think it is the same as the GYRT

[image]Acerbis_tank_001.jpg[/image]

[image]Acerbis_tank_003.jpg[/image]

[image]Acerbis_tank_002.jpg[/image]

Sorry to hijack, but how did you fit your tank vent tube and your handlebar pad? I have a new triple and Fatbar -- the vent won't fit where it goes stock with the pad on there... ?

I just recieved my tank and I have some install questions. Did everyone buy new fuel hose or use the provided? They provided regular screws for the petcocks and an oring. Do the screws need some sort of sealant? Indy you said that you trimmed the seal under the cap and resealed it, is this under the silver cap on the tank or the black screw on? Under the screw on there is no o-ring just a black rubber diaphragm for venting. They also provided what they call a quick tap that appears to go into the screw on cap, but there is already a vent on it. What do I do with that? What is the proper routing? The directions don't seem to good. Do I go from the left pet. to the Y, then the right Pet. to the Y and from the Y to the carb?

Thanks for the help!

I used the hose provided, and the petcock screws do not need sealant their should be oring to seal petcock. The seal Indy was talking about is under the silver ring bolted to the tank. Mine was leaking and the seal was not set right. I would check it before gas discolors the tank. The routing you've suggested is correct, I routed the right side over the intake boot and there was enough hose that I had to loop it a little. I don't know about the quick tap.

They also provided what they call a quick tap that appears to go into the screw on cap, but there is already a vent on it. What do I do with that? What is the proper routing? The directions don't seem to good. Do I go from the left pet. to the Y, then the right Pet. to the Y and from the Y to the carb?

Thanks for the help!

The quick tap is for dry-break use, don't use it with the screw-on cap-it's already vented. The stock fuel line goes from carb to Y, new lines from each petcock to the Y...

Left petcock and carb use the v section of the Y, the long tail-end of the Y goes to right petcock. I have the Y on the right side of the carb, the stock line goes underneath the airboot, the other line goes over the boot.

Take the regulator off the frame and you'll have more room to hook everything up. ?