Sign in to follow this  

wr250 and yz250

Hi all, greatings from the great wet north. Last weekend I was riding my WR250 and my buddys YZ250, both are 02's. We both have YZ pipes and I have done the YZ timing on my WR. I feel that the YZ had a lot more pull in the mid throttle 3rd gear range. What I am wondering is if the difference is in the gears or in the sprocket's and rear wheel size. Can I make my WR pull like a YZ.

The other thing I noticed was the YZ seemed to turn better. Is the steering geometry the same in both bikes? His bars we pushed more forward than mine, and his forks were in the stock position. I have moved mine up about a 1/4 inch.

I guess I am wondering if I should have bought the YZ. I love the WR but would love to have it hit like the YZ.

I have read the thumperfaq site. Looking for your input.

Cheers,

Jeff

Forget the YZ, you got the better bike 😢

As far as the YZ turning better, I'm guessing you still have the WR tank & seat? The YZ setup allows you to slide up on the tank further transfering more weight. Also compare front tires. If you've still got the stock Dunlop 739, ditch it for a 756. Immediate turning improvement just doing that.

As far as the weak midrange, I'm guessing the WR needle is different from the YZ needle so raise yours one notch and see how that works. The best fix for your jetting would be to snag the JD kit from the TT store. No more jetting problems plus a tech support line to boot.