Sign in to follow this  

Oil changes, when?

Hi guys I have just bought a crf 450 03, and have a question on oil changes. Ive heared of people changing the oil every time they take there bikes out, but whats a good interval to change the oil and filter? Have refered to the manual but no one seems to follow it.

cheers

Muz

change the oil about every three rides. But if you are riding really hard for long periods of time you should do it every ride or 2 rides. Always clean the air filter after every ride though.

You'll get hundreds of opinions on this one, but one thing is key to long valve life is to keep a clean air filter in the bike as mx5786 said. I change my oil every two rides and oil filter after 4 rides. I bought an hourmeter for mine so I can keep track of running time on the motor which will help you determine overhaul periods and to track any trends in bike performance.

If I can i change the oil after everyride and same with the filter cause i bought a case of 30 filters so i change it often and makes me feel are warm inside. Seriosly i think oil is cheaper than a siezed bottom end and [@#$%&*!] breaking.

Most of the engine wear comes from dirt in the oil....change as often as you can. I would say after every race weekend or after 2 fun trail rides.

Change you air filters more often....I carry 2 with me to whereever I ride..... 😢

Spend the money on an hour meter and change the oil every 5 hours.

At five hours mine gets the engine and trans oil changed and the filter cleaned. Ive got 40+ hours and havent even had to adjust the valves. Or anything else for that matter. Bike runs like new.

I change the oil and clean the air filter every other ride. Better safe than sorry! 😢

I do mine every other tank of gas and filter every other oil change. Like others say, buy your filters on bulk (always someone on ebay selling them) to help keep the costs down. Also, I measure the oil I drained out each time to see if it's using too much or if it's leaking between the trans and engine. Bt then again, I'm kinda weird...

I'm newly back to MX. 😢 The bulk tip is a great idea. My LBS wants $10 a throw. Ridiculus!

What do you-all think about replacing the drain plug washers each change? (as recommended in manual). They're about $5 a set...

always and often. There are a million threads on this. For a heads up use MOBIL 1. BOTH SIDES.

I don't think I'd use synthetic on the trans side. I've done that in the past and gotten an instant slipping clutch. Anyone else experienced that?