Sign in to follow this  

clutch usage

i had a guy tell me not to use my clutch when i shifted. I almost laughed becuase that has to cause extra wear and tear on clutch components and the transmission gears. Although I am not completely sure does any one know exactly what that will do to your clutch or transmission gears or is he right.

I don't pull my clutch in all the way while upshifting, and depending on the situation, I won't pull it in at all. I almost always have a single finger on the lever though, sometimes you just slightly pull in the lever to ease the load on the tranny while grabbing another gear especially in high traction situations. When downshifting, I never use the clutch.

The modern trannies can handle this slight abuse, unless something is wrong you can't engage more than one gear at a time anyway.

It's all in your riding preferences. Do what works best for you, but at least try to learn the alternate methods 😢

I had a great damn bit written up and lost it!!!! 😢 :cry: 😢 Now I'm pissed!

Edit: Found it:

As I'm sure you're aware, the clutch serves only to "disconnect" power from the engine to the drive line so that you can select a different internal gear - higher or lower. Now let's look at this disconnect for a second:

You're going along (fast) and shifting rapidly, activating the clutch while doing so. You pull the clutch to disconnect power and very quickly shift (up or down). Maybe you let off the throttle, maybe not - you don't need to use it is my point - the clutch disconnecting power is for my intentions and purposes is the same as letting off the throttle - in many cases.

Under heavy acceleration/hookup, as Rap noted, you may for sure need to apply that disconnect. I very rarely use the clutch for shifting other than starting out. Done properly, you'll be fine.

I don't ride as hard as many here, but I are ain't no sissy either and I have 0 clutch problems after (2) seasons on my '03.

i heard its ok to let off the throttle and shift up without using the clutch. depending on the situation, i sometimes do not use the clutch, it is rare though.

If you've ever seen the size of the 4 little engagement cogs in your tranny you'd use your clutch I'm a mechanical designer and I’m amazed how these trannys hold up to the abuse that they do. I always clutch my bike when I shift up or down and I’m lucky enough to have blown a trans out of a 450 😢

Its up to you,but i use my clutch alot.I got used to it from years of 2 strokes and it helps me to hook up better coming out of turns or on a off chamber area or even getting that little bit for a close double.Same cluch going on 8 months.

It is a motocross bike made for racing. Ride it like your mad at it. They are made to be abused and ridden hard. I do use the clutch sometimes when i can, but when racing you gotta do what you gotta do and i just slam that mutha [@#$%&*!] up or down. and change oil often.

...you gotta do what you gotta do and i just slam that mutha [@#$%&*!] up or down.

and we'll close with that. Amen. 😢