Sign in to follow this  

Oil Leak

I drove home as fast as I could so I could go for a ride before it got too dark. I got home and took off but about a half mile down the road I stopped at a stop sign, when I tried to take off the tire started spinning. I pulled over and started looking and found oil all over my rear tire and the engine. Called my g/f she brought the truck and I towed it home and started looking. I could not find where it was leaking from. I have three possible places. Side Case( never leaked before and haven't hit anything) Drain plug(tightened it and it still leaked) or the output shaft. What do you guys think?

clean the bike thoroughly and look/debug from there, might have hit a puddle of oil in the road somewhere but start with a de-oiled bike,,,if it is leaking it will show up..

Theres oil all over my garage floor so it is leaking. Do I have to split the cases to change the countershaft seal?

No need to split the cases for the CS seal.

Check out www.ronayers.com for the fiche and parts list.

Try a search in the drz forum for CS nut or the like

& you should find the parts list & more info on the subject.

Same thing happened to me when my CS nut got too loose.

Changed a few parts including the seal and all is well.

Use red loctite on the nut & CS splines when you install.

Lets think about this before you do anything drastic. Is your bike leaking oil parked in the garage? If so, it is unlikely it is leaking from the countershaft seal. That only has oil in it when the engine is running. You need to determine for sure where the oil is coming from. Drain plug, gasket, case joint, or a crack some place. There is only about an inch or less of oil in the engine so if it is leaking when parked, it has to be someplace near the bottom.

Hmmmm 😢. I tightened the drain plug and it still leaks. Going to clean the bike up and try to find it.

Something is wrong,,, more torque is not the answer when you talking about a steel fastener in a aluminum case. Find the problem.. New sealing washer would be a great start. Check the threads and sealing surface of the plug and case. This is a simple set up.. Steel plug, machined hole in case and a copper sealing washer..... not a lot to go wrong.. Do not just keep tightening it to make the leak stop.