Sign in to follow this  

Noob with clutch question

Great forum...real informative. I am new to off road bikes, but own an R1. I have an 04 YZ250F that I have been Mercilessly beating on. I think it has finally taken its toll. When in first gear (not rolling; stopped), clutch engaged..the bike still wants to roll. Feels like my clutch is slipping. If this is so, what are my remedies? What parts do I need to correct the problem?

😢 :cry: 😢

Dirtbikes have more clutch drag with the clutch in than streetbikes do. It's natural to have a little drag with the clutch in -- that's why it's easiest to start a dirtbike with the bike in neutral.

But excessive drag with the clutch in would imply that the clutch needs adjustment. Does the clutch start to disengage right away as you pull in the lever? If not, adjust it some and see if the drag decreases to just a little. 😢

Hi....If you have the lever pulled in, the clutch is disengaged, released the clutch is engaged. If you mean disengaged, then the clutch isn't slipping, it's dragging. It needs to be adjusted if this is the case....your owners manual should tell you the proper procedure.

At least, that's what I think the answer is, based on your wording...."When in first gear (not rolling; stopped), clutch engaged..the bike still wants to roll. Feels like my clutch is slipping."

I'm assuming you mean you're stopped with the clutch lever pulled in......

Correct assumption

my bike is rolling forward with the clutch lever pulled in. i will try adjusting it and see if that helps. thanks!

Correct assumption

my bike is rolling forward with the clutch lever pulled in. i will try adjusting it and see if that helps. thanks!

do a search in the yz/wr 250 forum, a lot of remidies and disc. about it

Dennis

A cold engine that you're running a heavy wt. oil in will do the same thing.

If the clutch is adjusted ok and it's still doing it, then take the clutch cover off(after draining the engine oil). Remove the bolts holding the springs in the pressure plate and remove the plate. Remove the clutch plates and discs. Check the steel plates for warpage. Look at the fingers of the clutch basket for notches where the clutch discs sit. The discs wear notches in the basket fingers over a period of time and prevent the discs and plates from moving away from each other when you pull in the clutch lever, causing drag and the problem you're seeing. The fix is to lightly draw file those basket fingers smooth without removing an excessive amount of material. If you remove too much material, then you could create too much slop in the fit of the discs in the basket fingers and possibly get some binding and be right back where you started. I've done this to my RM250, KX250 and recently to my XR400 with good results.