Sign in to follow this  

PROBLEMS WITH MY NEW 2005 KX250F

Hi guys and girls

(If you have bought or are thinking of buying one of these bikes you might want to read this all the way through!!!)

This is my first day on thumper talk....I bought a 2005 KX250F from Ask power sports in Columbus Ohio.

I have had my brand new kx250f for 3 days now. which it has been sitting in my garage the whole time and has not even seen dirt yet let alone me riding it. So the fist time I get it home and then start it up....everything was cool for about the first 5 minutes of running time. Then it started leaking coolant like crazy out the radiator overflow tube. So I sat there watching my $5700 bike brand new pour anti freeze like it was a water fountain ( NEW I should have got a yamaha!!!) So I wait until the next day and think maybe it would just stop....LOL....then I try it all over again and sure enough after about 10-15 minutes this time. It starts spilling Antifreeze like a coffe machine. NOW IM P/O big time!!

Dealer ship says!!!!!!!!

I called them today actually and they told me oh its probably getting some "blow by" and they called Kawasaki and they confirmed that might be the same problem.

So I ask the dealership what all do you plan on doing to my baby if I bring it back into you?

They said we will test to see and if it is getting some blow by then we will have to take the cyclinder off and put a new gasket on it.

And of course they say maybe that is if thats what the problem is.

I just wanted to let everyone know about this problem, the dealer ship says its the 3rd 05 250f they have had do this.

I did not think my engine would not be cracked open for at least 12-30 hours I hoped. I am never going to buy a 4 stroke Kawasaki again! I thought by buying a new bike I would be better off. But it goes to show NEW OR USED every bikes got its problems.

Hopefully this will get fixed and it will be all good. I will keep you guys posted either way!!!

Thanks

Jim Robinson

Westerville Ohio

its a four stroke and u let it idel for 10-15 mins? its going to get hot, and real hot, turn off the light and ur pipe well be glowing. And when it gets that hot its going to blow coolent, espically if it is topped off. Try this with any brand of four stroke and they well all do the same thing.

If it's a bad gasket it's not a big deal, replace it and it's all better. But it sounds to me like youjust let it idle too long. A YZ would have done exactly the same thing!!!

Sounds to me like you are new to fourstrokes. Not to say there isn't something wrong but you don't give enough information for an accurate assessment.

As stated, if you did idle the bike for a long time it will overheat and "spew" coolant. It may also leak oil out the overflow tube the first time or two it is run (my 04 did).

If you have blowby and need a gasket this is not a huge issue even though it is a pain in the rear to have to take a brand new bike back. Hopefully your shop is reputable and if so they will actually treat you fairly. Try to be nice first before kicking the top off the service/salesmans desk, it might be beneficial if something is wrong with the bike.

Good luck and re-post with your results and resolutions.

It started to pour antifreeze after about 5 minutes the first time....then after running it again it started to do the same thing but not as quickly it took about 13 minutes the second time to start spilling fluid. I am new to 4 strokes, but would never think if my bike idles to long that it will dump about %70 of my antifreeze. So since im not an expert I will let the dealership do what they do. I just really dont want my new bike to be craked open so quickly.

Thanks

Jim

Go buy you a 1.6 cap, put some engine ice in it and just dont' let her idle for so long. Without bliping the throttle the pump has a hard time pushing water through your bike. No circulation also.

Once it lost coolant the first time because you ran it for so long while still it overheated and blew the head gasket. Then the problem will not stop. Same thing happened to mine, new gasket, 1.6 cap, and engine ice and all is good. BTW, dont let it idle for so long.

I have had my bike for about 2 1/2 months and have not lost a drop of coolant. I have 9.7 hrs on the bike and have ridden it in 1st gear tight woods with out a problem. You probably are just letting it idle too long.

Thanks for the info!I am glad to hear I was not alone on this one. I found the engine ice coolant where is the best place to get one of those rad caps (1.6)?

Thanks

Jim

Before buying my '05 KXF250 I studied up on the shortcomings of the '04 model, namely the overheating. The consensus is that (like all 4-strokes but slightly worse) if you leave your bike running while stationary for any extended period of time it will overheat and spew coolant.

Even though my '05 has larger radiators than the '04 if I am out riding, and decide to sit on my bike resting while idling, it still overheats very quickly. I learned that on the first descent ride I went on, and know now to turn my bike off rather than let it idle while hot.

The jist of what I am trying to say is don't get bummed by what has happened to your bike. It is a wicked bike. Just don't let it sit around idling for too long or it will spew coolant.

You need to have airflow through the radiators. With no airflow, the bike will overheat. Let it cool, fill up the radiator and ride it. If you _must_ leave it idle, put a fan in front of the bike to get some air through the radiators. Most 4 stroke motocrossers will heat up substantially if you let them sit and idle for 10-15 mins with no airflow over the radiators.

Oh yea, and you have a really good bike! I think you'll learn to like it alot. What you did isn't the bikes fault, just wasn't made to do that. Check out after you start it and let it fast idle for 1 minute, look at the pipe, in the dark. 😢 It's normal. Also normal is to keep way away from that pipe, especially if you have little ones walking around who might be curious as to what is that cool orange thing glowing down there.

It's NOT a car, it will not sit & idle for 13-15 minutes. I can't think of a reason why you would need your dirtbike to sit & idle that long?? I don't idle my truck that long. Keep the idleing time under 1-2 minutes & you will not have a problem unless you have already done damage which is possible.

we ride/race motocross every weekend since i bought mine the week before school started. so thats 2 months and we have had zero problems. have not added or lost 1 drop of coolant. no problems at all.

Make it easy on yourself! Stop idleing that bike for so long with no air flow across the radiators. It's not a street bike(with cooling fans) ride it, and the coolant loss will end. Trying a high pressure radiator cap to slow the overflow at extended idle time, is just over pressureing the system. Sounds to me like YOU are the problem not the bike!

why dont u try riding it?? i overheated my 80 one time while it was idling for about 10 minutes, i was making some carb adjustments. it didnt spew any coolant but the thing was REALLY hot, it was radiating alot of heat off the cylinder. i put a fan in front of the bike and it cooled off almost immediatetly. just ride it, if it overheats while it rides then you may have a problem.

Sounds like you are suffering from the "kid with a new toy" syndrom. While these bikes do look fast sitting still, that is the absolute worst thing you can do to one, ESPECIALLY WHEN NEW!

Why on earth would you want to idle one in the garage for that long? 10-15 min the second time around? Come on. I guess you will be complaining about how much oil it uses pretty soon as you have probably ruined your chances for seating the rings properly.

These bikes are jetted lean on the pilot circuit from the factory so part throttle operation creates an extreme amount heat.

I wouldn't bother with a new rad cap, just don't let your bike sit around idling for too long. As you're now aware of the issue you should remember to turn your bike off.

A new rad cap shouldn't make too much difference to how you treat your bike anyway. It's not like a new rad cap will make it OK to leave your bike idling for 10 mins? Why would you need to anyway?

The only way the radiator cools the coolant is by air flowing across the fins, so if you are not moving there is very little air passing the fins. So just ride it and have fun!

4-strokes can't sit around running and not moving. I had a 2002 CDale with an optional temp monitoring system installed (part of the map select system). Anyway it had a 3 stage light for operating temp. If the light was off all was fine, if it blinked slowly it was a caution, if medium speed, a warning, if it started blinking really fast your were getting close to overheating.

Anyway everytime I rode it on single track it was blinking, if I got on open trails it stoped. In a CC race if there wa a big pile up or line it went crazy.

I only warm my 4-strokes up for 30 seconds, then I ride around so air can flow through the radiators.

Oh, if you ever ride a quad with electric fans, watch how much they come on as well.

If you warmed your bike up for 10-15 minutes, its not a bike or Kawasaki's problem, its operator error. Hopefully nothing bad happened and you will know from now on that dirt bike don't cool while sitting, and 4-strokes run twice as hot as 2-strokes.

A lot of people having problems with overheating run Engine Ice. Still don't let it sit around, its gotta move to cool down.

Good luck,