Sign in to follow this  

Shims

Did anyone figure out if there is a cheap supplier for shims? Hurricane and R1 shims fit.

Dennis Kirk sells a whole box of shims for around $50. I can't remember the part number but you should be able to turn it up searching their site.

Greg

Update on shims... So my buddy spent last Friday talking to the guys at the San Mateo bike show. One of them was a Cagiva rep. They discussed various topics including valves and shims. The rep stressed that a certain type of shim should be used... has a "sharp" edge. I have been using Honda and Yamaha shims with no issues as of yet, but from what is sounds like, there are possibilities of disaster if one slips.

Just an FYI... if they look rounded off at the edges, you may consider changing them. I suppose that Husky shims would be safest...

As a follow up, my buddy is also close to getting ss valves built... stay tuned.

Interesting on the SS steel valves - I'll call. I just pulled my head off and have to replace the intake valves. Cagiva has a new part number for the TE 250 valves (an in stock) which is appartently a new design. I read on TT somewhere that the heavier SS valves make a TE 250 sluggish or rev slower. I have my TE 250 set up the way I like it and it rips. Let me know anyones' comments.

Thanks!

MSTex

Do you know if there are any other mods besides getting the new "improved" valves and recutting the original seats, or is a new head and spring needed?

No need to any mod if you install the new replacement valves. I've replaced my left side intake valve. The only differerce is in the stem to valve face transition. And its durability I hope....

I'm assuming you recut the seats to match... How come you didn't just replace them all while you were there? (More cost, yes, but less pain later?)

Tex... do you know the part number for reference? I'm in need of the same replacement. The SS Valves sound like the best solution if they come close to spec weight. I don't mind a 500 - 1000 RPM drop, if I can get more than 800 miles out of them, unlike the ti's. Either way, I'd like a back up just in case they don't pull through.

Thanks!

So it sounds like Kibblewhite is backed up with Honda and Suzuki at the moment regarding the SS valve kits. One interesting tid bit of info my buddy William sent me, is that Pro Circuit swears by conical springs. I hear the '05's are running doubled up springs.

Update: Halls is indeed getting a set of ss valves in place for sale, and will even have a set of valve springs to go along with them probably by first of the year. 😢 Theory is that wear has less to do with the ti and more to do with the spring rate and valve float. Big bore in the works as well.