Sign in to follow this  

Powder Coating

Im going to dissemble my bike this winter after the seasons over and get the frame coated.Im going to go with some type of metallic silver color but I was wondering if there was anything special I had to do to the frame because of the oil tank in the frame?

You'll have to plug the hoses and fill all the oil holes, even the dipstick. No matter how much you clean, oil will ooze out when they bake the frame...

Post pics when you get it done!

How much did it cost?

I did mine several years ago when I went to the Hurricane graphics from ONE. The cost of the paint was about the same as what I paid to have it blasted. Seems like it was $100 to paint and about the same to sand blast it. Make sure you take every precaution when you send it out to be blasted. I ran solvent thru my dry sump and then clean motor oil before I reassembled and connected all my oil lines. Seems I recall a post where someone else wasn't so diligent and it cost him his motor.

The powder holds up well with the exception of the bottom of your frame ....unless of course you have a skid plate or you ride where there are no rocks.

Cheers! 😢

After next sunday i'm taking it apart. 😢 When I give the powder coater the frame should I put the bolts back in the oil system or just corks?Should I plug all the holes w/the bots,corks,or leave them open and have to retap all the holes?

You may want to buy bolts that have the same thread and plug those holes up with those. It'll be a pain in the ass to take the bolts off and it may not be fun!

The corks will not withstand the heat. You will have to plug it with a bolt. Maybe a machine shop could make you a bolt?

The powder coater should have silcone plugs that he can put in. I would make sure no threads are showing because it will be a pain to get the bolt though without striping them 😢

Talked to bruce stavron(n2thumpin)and he works for embee.They do the team yamaha frames.He said when I get it done talk to jeff and tell him I want the team yamaha masking.He also said they can chemically strip the frame for me.Ill post a pic when i'm done.Has anyone ever done a silver framed yzf?If so, can you post a pic?

The powder coater should take care of the plugging and masking of threads and holes for you. They have high temp plugs and tape made for the purpose.

but what do you do about the hole at the head of the frame where the steering stem goes. do they plug that too.

Anything that you don't want coated will be masked, plugged or capped with high temp material. If it gets extensive the labor involved may increase the price you pay. Plugging and capping is easy but trimming tape takes time and it all has to be done without touching the part with bare hands as it is done after the part is cleaned and prepped for coating. We do it wearing surgical gloves on a clean table just before powder coating. It has to be done then because the high temperature and high pressure cleaning and chem treating would remove or degrade the masking.

There is always going to be coating somewhere you dont want it. My local guy did an excellent job for my bike, but a small piece of tape became disloged. Powder was allover the steering head races.

I used aircraft paint remover. Within a few minutes the powder would wipe off. No big deal.