Ocala National Forest trail closure maps

Good News! The National Forest Service has extended the deadline date for comments from November 1, 2004 to December 1, 2004. Now we all have time to call (850-523-8557), email: comments-southern-Florida@Fs.Fed.Us or write, Mr. Will Ebaugh

325 John Knox Rd

Tallasshasse, Fl. 32303, and let the NFS know how you feel about these trail closures.

The NFS maps showing these trail closings can now be viewed at: http://www.freewebs.com/paulsmaps/ Please be patient as the files are large and require a little time to download, the wait is worth it as these maps show very plainly how the NFS wants to close half or more of the trail mileage.

The first map in each area (PLAN ? is the existing condition, showing all trails that are now open to the public. The following maps (A,C,D,E) show alternative plans to close at least half if not more of the trails.

I strongly urge everyone reading this post to let the NFS know how you feel about this closure of your trails. It doesn’t matter whether you live in Florida, the USA or the free world, if you enjoy trail riding off road PLEASE get active and help with this.

It would help in your comments to advocate the implementation of (PLAN ? and not to close any trails, just to enforce the current regulations. I also ask you to request the reopening of the day use riding area at the intersection of forest roads 523 and 573.

I spoke with Mr. Will Ebaugh at the meeting in Ocala on 10-12-04 and he indicated that he wanted “input” from the OHV trail riders on this issue. Now is the time to make the NFS aware of our feelings about the closure of OUR trails in the National Forests.

I must be missing something. The maps you have provided links for have a majority of the forest designated as not considered, with no restrictions.

From all the talk I was under the impression that nearly all the forest was to be shut down. Personally I dont see the problem with even the worst plan. It still leaves over half the forest open to everyone.

Maybe you can explain the problem?

Yep, I agree with the others. It doesn't matter which part they take, all that is important is that they're taking something. Once they find out they can take, they will just keep on taking on the basis that they have closed land before.

Even though I don't currently ride out there, what's to say I don't find a kick ass place in a closed area in 15 years. And then because I didn't do anything now I won't be able to ride in it because it will be closed.

This should be viewed as a threat to our sport. Once they close all of the public lands, the people intent on closing areas to motorbikers will start on private lands to keep themselves busy.

I'll shoot out an email later tonight.

So you're saying it's futile?

All we can hope for is some plan which I recall as D being the preferred one, and then they'll start carving up the center portion?

Sounds more like there's a need for blue ribbon coalition to get involved than a few woods riders lodging email plea's.

I emailed the BRC as soon as the stuff hit the fan after I went to the meeting and a few times after. They said That I was doing a good job. They have offered nothing constructive, just told me to keep doing what I was doing, no help whatsoever. Will be at Big Scrub campground on Sat.(11-06-04) with the paper maps and preprinted comment forms. See you there!

I was at ONF this entire weekend camping and riding. Wish I knew what was going on. We would have came up and helped out a little. I will forward the info to everybody I know and do what I can. They keep trying to close more trails and areas every year. This is not the first time and won't be the last. If they have their way according to the camp host I talked to, we won't have anyplace to ride other than the powerline at big scrub. Unless you have a tag on your motorcycle. Then they can't do anything. Hint! Hint!

PS: It seems nobody wants to do anything until it's too late and they realize what they have lost, so don't be surprised when they continue to close areas.

This is part of what I am sending and posting. No reason for me to include the info. when you have already seen it above.I have already contacted DOF and waiting for a reply. Thanks for the update. ?

Send your email complaints to: comments-southern-Florida@Fs.Fed.Us

Or you can send a letter to:

Mr. Will Ebaugh

325 John Knox Rd

Tallasshasse, Fl. 32303

Or call: 850-523-8557

and let the NFS know how you feel about these trail closures.

Below is a sample letter we sent. If you want to copy and send it because you don't have time to write one or use parts of it. We need to make our voices heard NOW! Or they will close more trails and then next year they will close more until we are all riding in circles. Don't let this happen.

Dear Sirs:

We would like to say how disappointed our family and friends are that you are closing more riding areas. We have lost more and more trails every year and see no reason why these areas are being closed. Florida is all sand and that sand washes back into place when it rains. Forest fires do more damage from lightning each year. Then heavy equipment clearing trees and making fire roads cause more damage than that. We wonder what the real reason behind the closures are. Are the complaints even from Florida residents? The state implemented a registration for off-road vehicles and those funds were to be spent on developing riding areas, not closing them. This is the end of a 2nd year of collecting fees from that registration and again all we have seen are more areas being closed. We camp, hike, canoe, hunt, ride, horse back ride in the ONF and this is the only public place in Florida available to do all of those things in one area.

If you really want to do some good, spend some of the money checking noise levels and handing out tickets for everything over 92db and you will eliminate most of the complaints around private property and others using the forest. We all need to get along and noise is the #1 reason people complain. For the most part those complaints are after dark and the offenders are locals.

Everyone we ride with stops when we see horses or other people while riding trails. We are sure that is not the case with everyone, but don't let a few ignorant people spoil it for all of us. Disrespectful, ignorant people will continue to ride anywhere they want including the numbered roads etc. The only thing you will accomplish is preventing honest people from riding closed areas.

Off-road vehicle enthusiasts are FAMILY people. Florida Families, remember us? We are the ones who use the grounds all year long, we build our state infrastructures; we live and work and raise our families here. These are our forests and these are family sports. Most of us grew up knowing the joys of riding and camping. We are now teaching our children to love and respect our forests - and when we are all gone if you have alienated them from the forest - told them they don't belong - WHO WILL BE THERE TO LOVE IT AND FIGHT FOR IT WHEN WE ARE ALL GONE?

Please do not forget, we bring revenue to the forests and surrounding towns. Think of the impact to the economy. The State of Florida is going to lose an estimated 2 billion dollars in tourist revenue next year - you cannot afford to loose us.

We have been involved with dirt bike and ATV riding for many years. For the most part the people we have met have been family oriented folks who dearly love the woods and act respectful. The biggest problem we see is that residential properties are encroaching on the forests. Also, when people are 4-wheeling at night the sheriffs or rangers need to respond and make it clear these activities are illegal and will not be tolerated.

We have been promised more riding areas and we are the people bringing money to the campgrounds and surrounding towns. If you close us out you will lose more than you will gain. We urge you not to shut us out, let's find a solution we can all live with.

With Respect,

• 2 weeks later...

The BRC is a friggin JOKE! The only thing they have ever done outside of their own neighborhood is take your donations and use your membership as a means to satisfy their own private ambitions.....

The next biggest Joke is the AMA....... If I didn't need a damn card to race I wouldn't support those jackoff's either!

I sent a tactful e-mail, thanks for the head's up.....

Bonzai ?

• 5 weeks later...

Here are the email addresses and phone numbers for our Senators:

Mel Martinez:

mel_martinez@martinez.senate.gov

(202) 224-3041

Bill Nelson:

billnelson.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm#email

(202) 224-5274

You can also look up your Congressman at this link:

http://www.congress.com/state/fl.html

Let them know how you feel about closing our riding areas. You vote, and your vote keeps them in office.

• 1 month later...

This isn't something that the Blue Ribbon Coalition can really do much with yet. The Forestry Commision isn't doing anything illegal. In fact, it's one of the last Forests in the Eastern half of the Country that hasn't seen some sort of restriction yet. So, while it sucks that this is finally happening to Ocala, there is still a chance that things will still be really good there if people work to minimize the closures.

The best thing by far you can do is contact your senators and congressman and express that your concerned about OHV use being unfairly restricted. These are the ONLY people who have power to help. If the handfull of people who visit this forum would just email them, it would make a big difference. I've seen what just a few letters can do in SC. If we could have gotten 10 or 15 a year ago, we would probably have a new riding area now.

Letter writing, to the right people, is the easiest thing you can do, and by far the most effective, unfortunately not many people can overcome the inertia to do it.

You can talk to and write land managers also, but usually they don't have the power to do anything but pay you lip service. They can't rock the boat and keep there jobs at the same time.

• 1 month later...