Sign in to follow this  

Ticking / Rattle noise

Greetings,

Anyone noticed a rattling or ticking only present with wide open (or close to) throttle at the top of the rev range - say 80% ? It seems to diminish if you back off or change gear. It is probably normal air cooled trailbike noise, made apparent by my new and noisy helmet.

Cheers

PfM

Also check the bike over for loose equipment/hardware that may be prone to certain vibration frequencies at hi RPMs. I had a rattle I couldn't find for the longest time. It was the nylon ring for the front brake line guide buzzing in the clip. Also make sure there's no rocks caught between skid plate and frame or anywhere else that could be causing the noise.

Also check the bike over for loose equipment/hardware that may be prone to certain vibration frequencies at hi RPMs. I had a rattle I couldn't find for the longest time. It was the nylon ring for the front brake line guide buzzing in the clip. Also make sure there's no rocks caught between skid plate and frame or anywhere else that could be causing the noise.

Good point on the nylon loop. Mine was rattling too. I wrapped black-tape around it a couple times and popped it back in, no more rattle.

I'm bumping this thread because I have exactly the same issue. '93 XR250L with approx. 4k miles gets a clattering sound from somewhere in the top end when wound out. Like the OP, it's fine at lower RPMs. I'm fairly certain it's not the valve adjustment (too random, wrong sound) and completely certain it's not something rattling elsewhere on the bike.

Off the top, I suspect either a cam chain/tensioner problem, or (god forbid) piston slap. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bob