Sign in to follow this  

WER dampener - Any one using it?

I have 2 scott's dampeners, but want to get the dampener away from my chin and the Scott's low mount kit looks massive.

Anyone try a WER? How's it compare?

I want one mainly for roots and rocks that like to grab the front wheel and twist it.

Thanks in advance,

I am using the wer dampner for the same reasons you described and for the same riding conditions! It is the only dampner i have ever had so i can't give a comparison, all i know is all of my bikes will have one from now on! 😢

Oh ya forgot to mention the price is only around $320!

I am not a big Dampener fan but I did use on on a Gas Gas for a bit and it worked well on it. If I was to get another one it would be the WER

Cher'o,

Dwight

I can ride over rocky terrain with one hand with the WER dampener.

It is money well spent.

and it's damper........ 😢

Didn't know you boys from Texass knew how to spell! My mistake 😢

How come Dwight? I agonized over the purchase (a little pricey here in Canuck bucks) but finaly got one this year (a GPR). The first day I loved it but sometimes I hate it. I have to turn it right down in very slipery, muddy conditions as the front end feels so heavy (I ride an 04 Kawi KX250F). It is weird. If I am not having a good day the dampner sucks but other times it seems to be a God Send.

Again, what are your reasons for not having one? Thanks.

A coupe of guys in my area have WER dampers... after much use they wanted them rebuilt and Drew Smith said they were not rebuildable because of certan internal parts that wear out...which meant purchaseing a whole new damper (which really pi**ed them off ) , however; I dont think this is the case with all WER dampers, but its true in some cases. ..The Scotts and GPR are totally rebuildable . Frankly, for eastern enduros I personlly dont care for dampers.. My 2 cents..

I had the same WER for 6 years, 3 shafts and one main body which I consider pretty good wear for having it on 3 bikes. If you change the WER oil every 3 months or so it will last longer - run it low on oil or with air (not purged)it will wear faster and not work as well.

My dampener of choice is the GPR ver 2.0 which is run under the bars - it works great in the tight woods and I requested GPR to set it up for the woods (lighter oil?). The GPR ver 2.0 I have is 6 months old and there have been a lot of improvements since the original I am told. I will never run a dampener on top of my bar clamps as I run a thick bar pad (and a quality chest protector) due to a previous serious injury.

... FYI - they are called steering stabilizers not dampeners per the mags and tech info.

MSTex

04 Husqvarna TE 250

Kantoniak,

So you finally got the GPR? I'm sorry that you aren't perfectly happy with it.

The Scotts is awesome. It feels like autopilot and never feels heavy. I run my low speed damping (the knob) at about 14-10 (usually 12) clicks out. I know other guys around here that run them at 4 out so I know I like mine light. If the low speed is light then the high speed damping makes a bigger difference. (I have never changed the high speed damper setting from stock) It works perfect for me. 😢

I've had mine for 2 complete seasons now. 😢

i've been super happy with my scott's. i have not used the other brands to give comparison. i'll admit its location is a bit sketch. in the tight stuff i dont know my scotts is there till it saves my ass. then to click down while opening it up in the washes and holy stability. there customer service kicks ass as well. they once talked me through an oil change and burp while i was in a phone booth in south america. A+

The WER is the best choice here in the east in the tight rocky rooty woods Have used then all and the Wert is the simplest n best thier site is www.werproducts.net They also do the best off road suspension work period!!!!

Ask the guys an Motocross Action - they say it is a stabilizer... I don't care what they call them. My GPR works awesome and I'm glad I have a dampener/stabilizer or what ever!

MSTex

Drew Smith is not known for a sunny personality.

His brother Chris isn't as grumpy, too bad you didn't get him on the phone.

Junior_Vet

For the most part I am very happy. It just seems like I can't turn as well in some conditions. I think it is just me though and my mood or energy levels on certain days. It has really taken the jitters out of the KXF though and in faster conditions I am amazed at how the front end stays so planted now.

Overall, I don't think I will run with out one. I do think I need to get a better front tire as that was something I changed as well and it made the front end feel "heavy".

😢

The GPR won't work with the RG3's four post rubber mount triple clamp. That's why I'm asking about a WER. Someone recently told me that Scott's has a new under bar mount that was designed with the RG3 in mind, so I'll have to call Scott's about that as I already have 2 Scott's on my KX and KTM.

I might still try the WER, cause there are several people on here that liked them, but will look into other options as well. I love the RG3's and will not remove those. They make a HUGE difference in how long I can ride.

Cheers,