Sign in to follow this  

Help

Ok, I am new to TT and to OHVs of the two wheel variety. I am familiar with the dreaded 4 wheeled, 2 stroked beast. I want to get a 4 stroke bike, but I am having trouble finding what I should purchase for my first motorcycle. I went to the Honda/Suzuki dealer and he wanted to sell me an XR400. The Kawasaki dealer didn't listen to me and just wanted to sell a bike. I went to the Yamaha/KTM dealer and after listening to what I want and my motorcycle credentials, they suggested either a TTR-230 or TTR-250. I just want to know if these will be enough bike for me until I can at least become an intermediate motorcycle rider. I am 5'10" and 240 lbs. I live in Missouri and ride mostly at a state park that used to be a lead mine. There are good trails there, as well as some good straights and infields to ride on. My buddy has a CRF250X and I will be riding with him. I know I won't keep up in the wide open spaces, but will I be ok for riding around the trails? Thanks.

I think the XR400 would be a great bike for you. It's not bad for a beginner rider of your size and as you get better on the bike there are TONS of upgrades you can do to make it better (pumper carb, suspension work, etc.) The up-side to the XR is that it's bullet proof. Change the oil and keep the filter clean and it should run forever. I know, I've got a '96 XR 400 still sitting in my garage next to my KTM.

I think you're too big a guy for a TTR. I think you'll be happiest with the XR400. And it lends itsself nicely to modification for your size/weight and the type riding you want to do, except for supercross type riding.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will be looking at the XR400. I wasn't too sure about the TT-R250 because I thought I might grow out of it pretty quickly. I won't be doing any supercross stuff, trailryder, so I should be ok. Now I just need to find a dealer that has one, they don't seem to be too popular anymore because of the CRFs coming out.

XR4 😢 You wont be disappointed. Check your local paper, auto/cycle trader..also keep checking out the TT "For Sale" forms..I found a Great deal on a XR4 form a fellow TT'er.

Where are you located? I'm actually selling my '96 XR400. I'm in Northern California (Bay Area). $2,200 takes it!

I am an experienced MC rider but a relative newbie dirt rider. I love my XR400. When I got home from work last night, it was only 25 degrees out. I thought I'd try an experiment and . . . one kick and my XR400 started up!

My advice? Buy used until you find out whether MCs, and dirt MCs in particular, are your bag. There is no better deal than a used MC, and you can always sell it a year or two later for about what you paid for it. Did I mention that I love my XR400? Good luck, Larry

Ok my 2 cents

I wasn't interested in 250 4's they are too small to me , I would go with DRZ400 over the XR400, in my opinion xr400's are a little stale, I know I gonna get it from the honda guys 😢

I love mine and there are tons of guys in the DRZ forum that are in the same boat. It is a very capable bike that when modded can do most anything. I would get an electric start model such as mine cause what's a few pounds when they are this heavy all ready. That little button rules.

Ok, well I will take a look at the DRZ as well. I will get a good look at a new one when I'm out in CA in a couple of weeks because a guy I know out there just bought one.

Sorry, KaTooMike, I live in Missouri and I will probably look for one locally. I have been looking in the paper and on cycletrader.com around here and I can't find either an XR400 or a DRZ.

For basic trail work the XR400 is a solid reliable machine, if you want something abit more modern with better performance then try the DRZ, both are good reliable machines but in my opinion the DRZ gets the nod, (why?), in stock form the DRZ is not only user freindly but out performes the XR by quite abit, while you get faster the XR will need some serious mods while the DRZ will carry you thru with little cost. (just my opinion). 😢

Making the choise is the hardest part. A XR can be made in to a great bike, but it seems that a lot of people prefer the heavier DRZ. Even a 250 four stroke can be fun to ride, my 190lb. dad says that my XR280 has all the power you ever realy need for the trails that we ride, and that his 500 is just over kill. But with a smaller bike if somebody on a faster bike wants to pass you there is not much you can do so hold them off once the trails open up. Just get the bike that YOU want, that is the one you will be happiest with. 😢

I guess my problem with the DRZ is that I have read several places that it is a dog and that it is a little too heavy. I do like the option of electric start, but I don't know how much I would need that. I am going to the Honda dealership today because they are supposed to get a used XR4 in as a trade-in. My problem is getting someone to buy my quad. The dealership said they aren't really doing a whole lot with 2 stroke quads anymore and that they don't think they could get rid of it. Oh well, I won't buy the XR until I know that is what I want so I may have some time to figure out how to get rid of my quad.

I think you should get the XR650R....5'10" and 240....you should be able to keep both feet firmly planted and I don't know about you but I want all the power I can get....The 650 can be as tame as a 250 but the 250 can never make you smile as much as hitting the throttle on a 650....Good luck and happy shopping

When I was looking for a replacement for my RM250 a couple of months ago, I was having the hardest time deciding what to buy.

The first thing I did was rule out Suzuki, as their resale values (at least locally) are terrible.

So the choice boiled down to two bikes: XR400 or CRF250X

I have ridden my friend's XR4 numerous times back to back with my RM. The XR4 seemed way top-heavy (comparatively speaking), but it is a killer bike. Solid, always starts, low maintenance, plenty of power, and major room for hopups.

I weighed my options, and ended up with the X. I am happy I did. It feels just like my RM250 (weight), but it has better ride, and is far better on trails.

Compared to the XR400, it feels far lighter, and the E-start is great when you stall in a difficult spot.

The only bummer is that it requires far more maintenance than the XR4, and you'd be wise to get a set of radiator guards.

BTW- I'm 5'10" and 250lbs. The x is a little down on power on open fire roads (and on the street), but once you're on the trails, it has plenty of power. I did the airbox mods, the JD jetting, and took out the baffle. Quick enough for me, at least for now 😢

Yeah, I just went to a different Yamaha dealer and he suggested the WR250 for me. I was a little skeptical about the power on that one, but he said he has a 2002 model and that it does just fine for him. He was a little taller than me but he couldn't have been much lighter. I now have a couple of other bikes to look at. I guess when I can unload my quad and actually buy a bike I will start seeing what is right for me and what I feel comfortable on.