Sign in to follow this  

05 450EXC spedo backlight

First time owner of a KTM, so this may be a stupid question.

The manual says the unit will light up when the engine is running, but it does not.

I checked behind the headlight, and there are three connectors,1 is connected to the sensor on the front wheel, the 2nd is a three wire plug(BL,BR,RD in color) connected to a two wire plug??, the 3rd in not connected. I am told it connects to an optional handle bar control.

So, How do I make this thing light up at night. A cool ORANGE color would be nice.

Thanks

Rick

It still does not light up. When I ride at night, the headlamps work great, but no lightup speedometer.

Thanks

RC

Same thing here man, My third connector isn't connected to anything either and my backlight wouldn't light up. Call up your dealer and explain to him your situation and he will ship you out a new one. That is what I did. Good Luck

Ok, here is your problem. The one three wire connector not connected to anything (should be round) is what light ups the speedo. KTM's sold in the us does not have the wire harrness with the necessary mating connector. Only the OEM KTM harness sold in Europe has that. Look in your KTM Part list and you will see the two different harness configs. Now for the fix. There are three ways you can fix the problem. 1. Buy the KTM OEM kit ($450.00) It comes with all the blinkers, switches and plugs 2. Buy just the 3 way plug ($20.00) and wire it your self 3. Just cut the 3 way plug and wire it your self (I did # 3) Opt 1 & 3 can be purchase from Cyclezone KTM http://www.cyclezonektm.com/ Opt 3 is easy A. Lift up your seat on your bike and find the two way plug that goes back to your tail light. B. Go to Radio shack and purchase 1 of the matching sets of plastic 3 way plugs (same as tail light plug) and 1 set of two way plugs C. Make a wire harness that allows thru put of the origanal tail light wires and also taps off of the tail light plug (the tap is off the white and brown wire) with the tap end long enough to go front of bike (to do the tap off, just make a harness that thru puts the origanal three wires for the tail light and allows 2 wires for the speedo. Just crimp the tap and origanl wire to the pin connector and solder the wires at the pin 3. Cut off the three way plug on the speedo and use a Male two way plug using the Yellow and brown wire (disreguard the black wire, not needed) Plug harness into tail light and at speedo. This will light up the speedo any time you are using your head/tail lights Example of harness below

X= Ori Male 3 way plug

Y= Ori Female 3 way Plug

N= New male 3 way plug

R= New Female 3 way plug

O= Male 2 way plug

W= Female 2 way plug

-- = thru put and ori brake/tail light wire

++ = New tap

Br= Brown (Grd)

W= White (12v Hot) Tail Light

G= Green (12v Hot blinkers

GE= Yellow (12v speedo

Br= Brown (grd speedo

Thru put for tail light and new tap part of harness

--br-X R(tap)--------N Y-------

--w--X R(tap)-------N Y-------

--g--X R------------N Y-------

From tap

++++++++++++++++++++++++ W O+++++ Speedo Hot(Ge)+++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++ W O+++++ Speedo Grd(Br)+++++

I hope this helps

Mike

Problem Fixed.

Actually the problem was the speedo unit itself.

Dealer replaced and it works fine now.

Looks like all of the speedo units made before sept-04 had or will have an issue with the backlight, this only applies to the 4-strokes, with electric start. Ones without an electric start, thus no 12volt battery, has no connection to the 2nd harness.

the three harness coming out of the unit are for 1st: wheel sensor, 2nd: 12v from battery, 3rd: optional handlebar switch.

Thanks for the info.

It sure does look cool glowing bright orange now.

Rick 😢

Hey WR400Rock

Hmmm, and you seem like you have the personality of a A-hole!!! 😢 Nothing gets to me faster than a person who seems to have the personality of a idiot and makes a comment without knowing the facts. especially when someone takes the time and effort to help someone out. I do not know about the 2004 or 2005 models. Maybe they come with the European wire harness part # 590-11-075-500 or with the 2003 and earlier harness part # 590-11-075-300 sold in the US like mine did. You are either lucky that you don't have to do the rewiring to make the light work because the 2005 (and maybe 2004) has the light wired or else it is really a Austrian model.

Maybe you should check this out so you are more enlighten before making comments. 😢

Mike

Let's just jump right in and make this personal 😢

I simply stated how my EXC was delivered. Apparently that has offended you. Have no facts either way on your statement about the back lite. So its OK for you to take exception 😢 But I will not stupe to labeling you 😢

Hmmm, took delivery today of a US 450 exc and the lite works on mine when the wheel is rotated.

If I took your statement in the wrong way and you were not trying to be condescending, then I must say I am sorry for my comments. 😢 But as you can see from your quote, especially with the qualifier of (Hmmmm) it is very easy to take that statement in the wrong way. I am the type of person who will go out of my way to help others, but tend to have a very short fuse with those who don't appreciate the efforts of others or just seem to have a anti social personality.

So ounce again, I apologize and lets chock this up as a break down in communication and end it here and start over 😢

Mike

Well....I guess it would be easy to so interpret my comment, no smart a$$ comment intended. I did note by the length of your first post that you had done some homework, and I know you were trying to be helpful. My bike is an 05, so on my part my experience is limited to that model, and my bike specifically.

The apology is appreciate and accepted. Perhaps we'd both feel better if we were out riding. 😢

BTW, where are you located? What state?

Jeez fellows,Being new to KTMs, All I wanted to know was whether or not the speedometer unit was supposed to light up or not. After finding out it should, My Local Dealer was quick to respond and replace the unit.

I do however appreciate the info, but am more happy that my unit now functions the way it was intended to.

Thanks

Not a problem wr400. But you are right, we both would be happier if we were off somewhere ridding. Maybe I might see you next weekend at the Malcolm Smith No Wimp ride or on the 26th for the LA-B-2-V ride. Ahhhh, 450 miles of monkey butt make me wonder sometimes

Mike