Sign in to follow this  

CRF Brakes

Why doesn't Honda put disc brakes on the rear of CRF's???

I was thinking of getting a CRF230 but the drum brake sounded realy old technology so I got the XR instead

Drum brakes are cheaper,lighter, and work easier than disc brakes, on any application, motorcycle or automotive. Disc brakes are MUCH better for repeated hi speed stops, hence their application on racing machines. Honda could have mounted a disc brake to the rear of any of their bikes, but would then have to charge more for the bike ! The Motard guys might want/need a disc brake more than the dirt guys because they run at higher speeds, and again, are on the brakes hard at every turn. Even still, I'm certain there are not many converted (CRF230/150) to rear disc as the front wheel provides most of the braking % and the engine and down shifting provide much of the needed rear wheel braking. Unless you are a Pro caliber off road racer, I don't think you would be able to appreciate the disc brake over the drum, and then it would only be during racing, and the 230/150's would have many more shortcomings before the rear brake if you are going to race one. Just my $.02

I haven't needed more rear brake yet... but you cannot deny the BLING factor of disc brakes!

Thanks I was just wondering I havent had a bike with a drum brake since the early 80's and don't really rember how well they worked. I liked everything about the CRF but I't would be nice if it had discs front and rear and maybe duel valves. Since there are no XR's for 05 and the CRF250 is to much money and bike for me. Thanks again

Here's something that may help you with your drum brake. Got this from someone over on the XR/CRF 50-200 forum...

---------------------

"Hears a little tip for those of you that can't afford to spend big $$$ on a disc conversion.

Drum brakes work best if both shoes contact the drum at the same time. To get this to happen loosen your axle nut just a little bit and spin the rim. Now with the rim and tire turning grab the brake lever and stop the rotation, while still holding the brake lever tighten the axle nut. What you have just done is center the backing plate and taken out all the slop of the stock drum set-up.

This seems like a small thing but it makes the bike stop much better and consistently. Also it does not cost a thing.

The next step would be to get a Termaniator brake cable from Motion-pro this cable has a much stiffer outer sheath and does not flex under load. It's about 35$ you can also get it from Frank at Engines Only.

Good luck hope this info helps. It made my 03 XR100 stop on a dime."