Sign in to follow this  

Subrame Bolt...BIG PROBLEM...HELP!

Ok, well i was putting some anti-seize on the gas tank/shroud bolts, and then some on the subrame bolts. Then, I took one of the lower (A) subrame bolts off and i put some anti-seize on and went to screw it back in. I busted out the craftsman digitork torque wrentch, (the one that gives off a little decompression click when it's at the right spec.) and was tourqing it to the right spec and it jsut kept turning and no click. When i finally realized what was going on, it was too late and the threading of the frame where the bolt screws into was shot. When i took the bolt out to inspect it, the sheared off metal sheared into the threads of the bolt. So, I tried to screw it back in and it was a little tough at first, but once the sheared metal went back into the grooves of where it once was it screwed in fine and i torqued it right ( after wiping all the anti-seize off). My question is, is this ok for now, becasue i plan on going riding this weekend and i dont know if i will get the bike back by then, so i figure ill ride and then get it fixed afterwards. I wish i had pics to show you guys, but i have no digi as of now. So if any of you can help me that would be great.

PS: Can anyone take a pic of the left side bottom (a) bolt for the subrame ..the back of it where it goes through to the other side..the part sticking out. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, torque specs are typically given for dry threads, not for threads that are all lubed up. It makes a difference.

I agree with antman. I have a friend with an X and he was torqueing the front sprocket nut with a torque wrench and didn't quite get to spec when he busted the bolt clean off. On these Honda bikes non engine parts I only go by feel. The torque wrench stays in the toolbox.