Sign in to follow this  

Can anybody recommend some bars and grips?

hey guys. Well my stock 04 yz250f bars bent and i need to get new ones. i have a rocky mountain catalog and dennis kirk catalog. There are way too many bars to chose from and i know way too little to make a sensible decision. Although im not looking to throw money away, im not deciding because of price. i wanna know what the best bar is for the buck, whether that means a 40 dollar bar or a 200 dollar bar. What is the best buy? thanks. btw, im 6 foot, 165 lbs. thanks for any help as i have no idea what to buy. ALso, can anybody recommend a good set of grips? again, i want the best, most comfortable grips, regardless of price. thanks again.

You absolutely can't go wrong with ProTapers. They are probably the best bar on the market for under $100. The CR HI bend is pretty popular, and I found it to be plenty comfortable for me. You will need adapters or a new clamp. The adapters can be found for $30 or less.

If you want the cream of the crop, check out these puppies...

http://www.fasstco.com/html/flexx_bars.html

Whatever you decide on, find the best price, then call the TT store and they will beat it!

You can buy the Pro-Tapers S.E bars, brand new this year. They're 7/8" bars and are really strong!

Tag Grips that are the Soft/Medium compound. The best grips that I've tried that are still durable and soft!

If you want bars with the same specs, go to your nearest parts dealer with your bent ones. While you're there check out the bars and grips, and start asking questions. There are a zillion type bars and grips out there. You need hands on experience. Websites are nice, but they won't give you the answers you're looking for.

Can anybody recommend some bars and grips?

I highly recomend bars AND grips....it's kinda tough to ride without 'em. 😢

Bars are something every rider has to select on their own, too many styles & bends.

Grips? There's only one that comes to mind- Spider grips! Try them once, your hooked. 😢

AS for grips,try the tag soft/medium grips.Those are the ones I use and like them very much.

Warrior, were you happy with the dimensions of your original bars?

well, thats the thing. Its hard to tell if i liked the bars or not. I really have nothing to compare it to. I got the bike, and i got used to everything the way it was. Im pretty adaptive that way. My raptor had stock bars. They seemed fine too. Its kinda like asking a person who drove a manual transmission car for the first time if he was happy with the feel of the gearbox. He wouldnt know whats good, whats bad, or whats a natural characteristic. So maybe u guys can enlighten me. Whats dimensions of a bar affect what? Im six foot if that means anything.

About the regular 7/8 bars versus 1 1/8 bars...wouldnt the 1 1/8 bars be inherantly stronger and basically better? Or does one not necessarily mean the other? i dont mind buying the bigger clamp if its worth it. I just need guidance as to whats the most practical and what makes the most sense. I do mostly MX riding and some trail riding too.

o, and about trying them out at my dealer. The local dealers near me are lucky they stock the actual bikes, let alone accesories or gear.

thanks for all the help, later

As far as bars, I'm kind of up in the air about them. But, for grips nothing I have found beats the Formula 909 Grips. They have a slight hump in the middle that help with Arm and wrist fatige.

😢

I really like the ergos of the Carmichael-Windham bend. Its swept more forward than normal, which is better for cornering, and sits higher, which makes it more comfortable because you dont have to bend over as much. I think this is the same as the CR high bend, but cant remeber for sure. Get either Renthal Fat Bars (not Twinwall, as they are too stiff and no dampening)or the Protapers. These are both 1 -1/8" diam bars so you'll have to replace the clamps, but its worth it. Protapers are supposed to be the stronger of the two and also have more vibration dampening, and dont cost too much more. As far as grips go, I dunno, there was a post in the last couple weeks with some good recommendations.

I really like the ergos of the Carmichael-Windham bend. Its swept more forward than normal, which is better for cornering, and sits higher, which makes it more comfortable because you dont have to bend over as much. I think this is the same as the CR high bend, but cant remeber for sure. Get either Renthal Fat Bars (not Twinwall, as they are too stiff and no dampening)or the Protapers. These are both 1 -1/8" diam bars so you'll have to replace the clamps, but its worth it. Protapers are supposed to be the stronger of the two and also have more vibration dampening, and dont cost too much more. As far as grips go, I dunno, there was a post in the last couple weeks with some good recommendations.

I have those bars with that bend. I bought the adaptor for my clamp that made it another 3/4" higher. This is the tallest bar and clamp combo you can go without replacing the cables..... 😢

alright, so i should get Protapers with the carmichael-windham bend? Sounds good. That said, who makes good 1 1/8 clamps?

I bought "Fly" with a bar pad for $45.00

Renthal fatbars, MUCH cheaper than ProTapers. I got an Applied top clamp for the 1 1/8 bars because it was cheap. I have the CR Hi bend and love it. Gives much more leverage and makes it easier to stand up and be aggressive. Works well for MX or woods, too.

Do I seem cheap?

I just use cheapo Scott grips and replace them when I trash them.

Tusk makes the bar adapters for like $30 or so, check rockymountainmc.com, then call the TT store. 😢

yeah ill definately buy from TT. So its between the pro taper and the Renthal. Which ones are more worth the money?

As far as clamps go. Which is the best, and what makes one clamp better than another? lightness and strength im assuming? thanks for all the help so far, i really appreciate it.

yeah ill definately buy from TT. So its between the pro taper and the Renthal. Which ones are more worth the money?

As far as clamps go. Which is the best, and what makes one clamp better than another? lightness and strength im assuming? thanks for all the help so far, i really appreciate it.

With clamps its best to find something that is rubber mounted. Tag has a nice rubber mounted clamp called Matrix triple clamps, or just top clamp if thats all you want. Top clamp is most important, bottum isnt really necessary. Cant really go wrong with Pro Taper or Tag. I to am looking for some new bars but Ive got other things that I need to buy for my bike so Im just going to get Tag X5 (7/8th diam.) so I can use my stock clamp. Everyone seems to like the CR high, I was just gonna get regular YZ bend but since I have them on my 230 I might compare them to my stock bars tommorow. What do you guys think about the stock YZ bend? To me it seems to be low and forward which to mean seems like a easy way to keep your elbows up and body forward. Ill have to see what my CR highs are like tommorow. Good luck!