Sign in to follow this  

Z- Start Issues not slipping, just overheating! help

I just installed the Z start with the basic adjuster. My bike is jetted correctly, and the gap on the clutch is correct. 13-52 gearing. I triple checked installation. When the bike is in 1st gear with the motor running it wants to creep foreward, is that normal? When the bike is running it is hard as hell to get it into N. is that normal? MOst importantly the bike runs much hotter than it did stock, the kickstarter gets so hot You can hardly touch it. I ride super tech., hilly trails. I am using the soft spring. I bought this setup because its suppose to be good for the tight stuff, but at what cost? All that heat in the motor has to mean bad things down the road! any suggestions? thanks

Try going to the medium spring.......it sounds like you are slipping too much and overheating the clutch. I've got the manual overide and used the stiffer spring in it. I just got back from a ride this weekend and abused the hell out of it with no creeping or overheating. If your idle is set correctly, you should not have any creeping in first gear. If your problems continue, call or e-mail Rekluse, they are great at customer service. 😢

Assuming your setup is ok....

Then don't forget to downshift, keep the RPMs up. I know that can be difficult in gnarly terrain with the CRFs tall 1st gear. You might want to go to a bigger rear sprocket to get the rpms up and take some of the load off the clutch.

Running too high a gear will cause excessive slip which leads to excessive heat.