Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on mx 125's for trail use!

My buddy is selling his DR350s and reinvesting the money into a two-stroke 125. He would like to get a 2000 or newer, but can't afford a brand new one. He is steering towards a 2001-03 yz 125 right now, but is open to purchasing any brand. Any suggestions?

He should also look at the KTM. The newer models are real powerhouses and have good parts interchangability with the EXC 125/200 if he wants to add lights, a larger tank, or other off-road parts.

the yz's are very torquey, he wont be disapointed. ive heard good things about the 125SX motor too

I love 125's. I ride bigger bikes too but I keep going back to the tiddler for smiles. I had 3 KX125's, and a TM125 I rode in the trails. I just picked up the new YZ125 and it is a great bike with ample trail power.

I think the 2000 and up YZ performance, overall parts prices, durability etc is a great deal. 😢 :cry:

Don't be afraid to get it dirty! 😢

13-dirty%20yz.jpg

Check out the left over KTM 125sx '03 & 04 models. They can be had for some great deals, I've seen them in the $3500 to $3800 price range. Not bad for a new bike!

125's are tough to ride in trails, but if he can do it well, it will make him one hell of a rider. 😢

ktm will have the best bottom end power

i got a 02 yz125, no trail riding, but always race in dirt track race(no jump, just plenty of mud) my 125 will always bog down baddly in deep mod pool. 😢

but it is still a blast to race the 125.

one of the pic, this is not the DEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeP mud pool i'm talking about.

mud.jpg

my yz125

http://www.pbase.com/rookie517/image/14300769

The dealers here have brand new 2004 left over KTM125sx's for $3150. That's a great buy.

Personally, I wouldn't ride a 125 off road out here. I tried a friend's 2004 YZ125. He couldn't follow me up some hills, so I offered to ride it up for him. Took a couple tries to get used to the cable clutch and hit, then I made it up the hill. But definitely wouldn't want that bike for offroading in hilly terrain. If you're riding strictly fairly level woods, it may be ok, but no bottom end power compared to the other choices out there. I would recommend a KTM 200 sx or exc. Much more fun than a 125. But neither a 125 or 200 will pull like my thumper; Husaberg FE501e