Sign in to follow this  

Aaargh! Can't believe I did that!

Was just finishing changing the oil on my bike but have a tube that just fits in the funnel to help it reach the hole because the frame blocks the funnel. Remove the funnel & let the tube fall into the crankcase. 😢 Haven't been able to fish it out. Going to have to remove the right side cover. 😢

Anybody else screwed up like this? Let's hear them! Maybe it'll make me feel better. Thanks!

Something very annoying that happened to me... took the right side engine cover off to weld up a crack, and used the container of drained oil to catch the drips under the bike. Anyhoo.. when it came to putting it all back together a little clutch spring and oil gasket were no where to be found. after an afternoon of searching and fretting that they had fallen in deeper into the bike, i ordered replacements. Put them in and went to put the oil back in... and what did i find lying in the bottom of the oil container! They slipped out and into the oil as i took the casing off. Very Stupid and Annoying!

First oil change on my 650, it had about 30 miles on it, I took the right side cover off to clean the oil screen. Went to put everything back together and had the side cover partially on then decided I needed to check and make sure everything was there. Looked at the service manual pictures and saw that a small 1/4-1/2" long metal tube that fit between the engine case and side cover was missing. Fished it out of the bottom of the engine. That could have been bad. I don't know why I looked at the picture, guess I had a gut feeling something wasn't right. Glad I took it back off and found it.

not on a bike, but I've got a uncanny knack for dropping intake manifold bolts into the lifter valley of a small block chevy... and they almost ALWAYS fall down into a oil return hole... which means ya gotta pull the oil pan to get em out. I've done this half a dozen times or so 😢 :cry:

I didn't do it but I knew the guys that did. They were working on a jet engine and dropped a bolt into it. They tried for 3 days to get it out. Finally had to call GE in with the right equipment to get it. That could have been really expensive.

I screw up all the time Toast. I just don't tell the TT boards about it 😢 :cry: 😢

I changed the clutch on my XL600. When I was putting the cover back on, I didn't get the cam for the decompression lever lined up. It broke off the cam. I had to take the cover back off to remove the fragment. The bike starts better without the automatic decompression.

When I was in the Navy,I had a KTM 620 dual-sport I was changing the oil on while on the Navy base(against regulations).I was at my storage unit in the back and the shore patrol caught me.He said if I didn't have the bike back together in 10 minutes when he came back,he'd turn me in because oil was considered a dangerous,hazardous substance and he'd inspect for spills which would be an OSHA violation(very bad).I franticly put the oil filter in and added oil,kept checking around the corner for him to come and I went to bleed the frame by removing the top frame bolt and starting the engine to idle until the oil weeped out the top.While I was watching for the oil to seep out, I glanced up and saw a fountain of oil in the air about 8 feet high coming from the oil filler cap on the other side of the bike(there's some serious oil pumps in that bike) I had left off during my panic to get the bike together.I almost crapped my pants!I thought I was a goner since the oil was all over the ground and the storage buildings.I yanked everything out of my storage unit and threw it on the ground to cover the oil and wiped the oil off the best I could from the storage units.The shore patrol guy came by and saw the KTM back together off to the side and I told him I was going to organize my storage unit to explain everything lying around on the ground.When he left,I dropped to the ground and thanked God.I think I lost a few years off my life from that.

not on a bike, but I've got a uncanny knack for dropping intake manifold bolts into the lifter valley of a small block chevy... and they almost ALWAYS fall down into a oil return hole... which means ya gotta pull the oil pan to get em out. I've done this half a dozen times or so 😢 :cry:

I know several guys that have done that....they usually just go buy new bolts....

I've found bolts, dist. drives and other extraneous parts in SBC oil pans. 😢

What about when you THINK you're being smart and it backfires on you?

One time I went into the head on my Track Toy CBR600F2 to do the usual valve check and plug change. I pulled the airbox and stuffed paper towels down the carb mouths to prevent anything falling in them. Did all the rest of the work, went out for dinner with the wife and got back late to finish the last bits of putting the bike together and loading on the truck for the test and tune practice next day.

Time to warm it up and it starts but dies like a minute later. Trying to restart is a no go but it always did that when in between cold and warm. But it just won't start, miss my first session and I'm pissed big time. Finally start thinking that I'd messed up the choke somehow and pull the tank and airbox off. Well, you can imagine how I felt when I see the wads of paper towel in the carbs...... soaked in gas by that time of course.

Fired right up instantly after that.....

I was building up my small block chevy in my Suburban on a windy day.I was under the hood, running a drill down the distributer hole to pump the oil through the engine before 1st start up, when the wind blew a leaf past me clear back to the firewall where it fell down the 1" hole I was working in. I couldn't believe it!! Of I thought maybe it fell into the valley, so I yanked the intake manifold off. No, not there. DAMN!! I had to pull the oil pan off to get that one *&%%%&*^ leaf outta my new rebuild.

I've had a long sucky day, but reading this makes me feel better about my screw up

I know several guys that have done that....they usually just go buy new bolts....

I've found bolts, dist. drives and other extraneous parts in SBC oil pans. 😢

Yeah I've come close to doing that too... chances are the bolt would be heavy enough to sit at the bottom of the pan and never cause a problem... but I'm usually building high performance or race engines, and the chances of a crank spinning 7800 RPM's flinging that bolt into a piston is just too high to risk a $5000+ motor

If it was a bone stock motor that wasnt gonna see rpm's over 4000 or so I'd probably leave the bolt down there too lol

The dumbest thing I've done as of late is put a tire on and forget to pull the valve stem through the hole. 😢

And then there was trying to mount a 17" tire on a 18" rim... I ALMOST got that sucker on there too! 😢

I've had a long sucky day, but reading this makes me feel better about my screw up

Glad we could help put a smile on your face.... 😢

😢

Pulled my carb off for the first time on the WR. Needed a good cleaning, so I took it apart while verifying the jets, changing the needle. Pulled the float cover off, had to pull the fuel screw first to do that. Unscrewed the main, pilot and "other jet". Turned carb right side up to let the jets fall out and "Hey! Where'd that o-ring/washer and spring come from???" So I try putting the spring various places - hmm.

Go in house for manual - ah ha! fuel screw...

Return to garage, spring is NOWHERE to be found. Search for 15 min at least, return to house, search office. Search garage again. Get flashlight (still daylight) search garage again.

Post on TT about spring. Search garage again, start putting carb back together. Use flashlight to verify it didn't fall into the carb and finally found it hiding in the recess where the pilot jet goes. The first time looking in the carb it didn't fall out, but a good slap - out she came.

Wasted at least 1.5 hours on that STUPID SPRING!!! 😢