Sign in to follow this  

Narrowest bar you'd recommend running in woods?

Debating on bars and don't want to go too narrow. Curious as to how narrow I can go (not including barkbusters) and still get good control on both fast and tight woods stuff.

May run my first hare scramble so could use some advice.

You're going to find yourself limited by the amount of room you have to keep for grips and levers. You can only move the levers in so far before they hit the bend in the bar.

I know people that run as narrow as 28", but I never liked them that short, I generally use a pipe cutter to take 1/2 off each end of the stock bars. Not sure what that makes them..probably around 29"

Depending on your local HS set up, you might not find really tight, tight woods anyways. I'm finding the trend even at local events is to open up the trail more to avoid bottlenecks.

Hope you have a blast at your first event...good luck!

Depends on your shoulder width.

Bigger guys like wider bars.

Alot of guys like a 28" bar.

Cut an inch off each end and ride it. While riding, experiment with moving your hands a inch in from the normal position. See if it feels too narrow. Then cut another 1/2" and ride again.

Canadaler & Brian C.

Thanks for the info. I was kinda hung up on using the mini bars but if I can take my stock bars down to 28" then I'm not gonna bother trying to locate mini bars... I'll just cut mine down.

I am looking forward to the event and hopefully the narrower bars will give me a little edge that I would not have otherwise had.

Thanks for your insight.

Eddie

In SC most every one I talk to have theirs around 30" that run Enduros. I would not go no wider then 31 around here and it vary hard for 28" like we did years ago because of the power disk brake even with mini bars. Mine are 29.5 with mini bars and it took some work to get the bark-busters on.

Thanks Halfcab.

What kind of mini bars do you run?

So, are you saying that you can get your bars narrower with the mini bars than the regular bars? I was thinking that you probably could and was in the process of purchasing some but in the meantime kinda decided against it. Maybe you have some info that will lead me back to the mini bars.

I currently run CR high bend (reg bars) and was thinking of the CR mini bars (which have a similar height etc).

Are you saying that the problem with going shorter is because of the brake reservoir getting in the way of the bark buster? BUT that mini bars help in this endeavor?

I currently have the triple clamp mounted variety of bark busters and wonder if that's gonna help with the reservoir thing (assuming that's what you're describing as the prob).

As an aside, where do you ride?

Eddie

30" or less but if you use bark busters,(you should!), make sure you trial fit the busters,levers,ect., before you cut the bars down. 😢

I like the Pastrana FMX bend. THey are narrow and tall so it smore comfortable when u stand up. 😢

I run Renthal Carmichael bend 7/8" bars full width (31.5") with Acerbis RP guards. I tried shorter but I like the leverage when attacking corners and I don't seem to get as tired as when I was running 28" bars (leverage I think). I do tap tree's more often than I used to but that's what the bark busters are there for.

I run one set 29.5 the other 30.

1/2 inch makes a BIG difference. The narrower the better, but narrow means less leverage on the front end so use a damper!

1/2 inch makes a BIG difference. The narrower the better, but narrow means less leverage on the front end so use a damper!

also, shorter bars produce more movement at the wheel for a given amount of input at the bar, which will make a bike feel like it's handling faster.

beer stud, sanorawfo, novaman,

Thanks for the additional info.

The Pastrana bend is not an option for me cause I'm not running pro taper clamps. Bummer.

Tubo, Cisco,

Wellll, I need to get mine a little narrower at least. Guess I'll experiment.

Didn't realize that 1/2" would even be noticable. Interesting cause that only equates to 1/4" each side.

Who would have thunk it.

Cisco-

What does less leverage on the front end have to do with a damper?

Beer stud-

Hadn't thought about the quicker turning (more pronounced input. That might not be a good thing for me. Interesting.

Thanks Halfcab.

What kind of mini bars do you run?

YZ 85....I liked my (cut down 30.2) CR high bars better for average DS riding, but I was always noticing how low they were.... the YZ 85 bars work better "FOR ME" off road, they have less pull back (on the tank more) and almost 3/4" taller then CR high bars and I don't notice anything wrong while riding, only in the shop is where they feel strange and short...29.5" I'm still lookng for that perfect set up but have a good starting point now!

So, are you saying that you can get your bars narrower with the mini bars than the regular bars? I was thinking that you probably could and was in the process of purchasing some but in the meantime kinda decided against it. Maybe you have some info that will lead me back to the mini bars.

If you check the spec sheet on Renthal it will tell you every thing you need to know.

I currently run CR high bend (reg bars) and was thinking of the CR mini bars (which have a similar height etc).

Are you saying that the problem with going shorter is because of the brake reservoir getting in the way of the bark buster? BUT that mini bars help in this endeavor?

I currently have the triple clamp mounted variety of bark busters and wonder if that's gonna help with the reservoir thing (assuming that's what you're describing as the prob).

Most Mimi bars are shorter and taller. The bars are "narrow at the clamps" making the bars a little longer at the grips for the controls. I had to bend my barkbusters to make them fit the Mini bars. Do your homework first on the spec sheet before you buy, becouse Mini bars or for Kids on Minis, I got lucky, a local dealer had them in stock so returning was not a proublem.

As an aside, where do you ride?

Eddie

For close to home OHV trail Enoree, and all the others. Every dirt road and trail west of Col into GA. Hunting season is open and that cut out a lot of the good stuff.

Halfcab-

Yeah, I almost purchased the YZ85 bars but would probably be way too tall for me. You must be a tall guy.

When I was asking about getting the mini bars shorter than the regular ones I was referring to being able to cut them down shorter than the regular bars ever could be cut down assuming you wanted to go that short.

Funny about Enoree being your "local" place to ride. I went there last weekend for the first time and really liked it. I'm actually planning on going back this Sunday. Are you gonna be there?

Eddie

The front seems twitchy with excessively short bars.

Whe the front wobbles from an impact the length of bar for your arm to RESIST the wobble is less. The wobble frequency is higher making the bars seem jerkier.

Also YOUR input or weight and push/pull on the shorter bar will make the front end react more quickly. Im sensititve to how my bike reacts, and the 29.5 is much twitchier than the 30" cut.

Ya whodathunk? But I feel it. Put the damper on and most of it goes away.

BTW my 29.5 may be more like 29.25 and my 30 may be more like 30.25 so add another 1/4 inch. Im vague on my lengths.

Halfcab-

Yeah, I almost purchased the YZ85 bars but would probably be way too tall for me. You must be a tall guy.

When I was asking about getting the mini bars shorter than the regular ones I was referring to being able to cut them down shorter than the regular bars ever could be cut down assuming you wanted to go that short.

Funny about Enoree being your "local" place to ride. I went there last weekend for the first time and really liked it. I'm actually planning on going back this Sunday. Are you gonna be there?

Eddie

You can cut the Minis shorter, but most are around 28" to 29" to start with. The tight wood section are not as tight as they were years ago when 28" bars were a must around here. Before barkbusters and front disk brakes where you learned to twitch the bars are removed one hand and just let that side of the bar hit the tree.

At 5.11 I never thought of myself as tall. Won't be at Enoree this weekend, installed GPS on the bike last night, tiring out a new and cheaper rear tire for DS riding.

I guess you ride at Sumter/Manchester a lot, loved that place in the earley 80's (time befor quads) when the only VW size whoops were next to the bomming range and tight trails all over the place.

There is a trail at Enoree that a lot of people miss, it's just pass the wood post fence where you cross the gravel road. I belive a tight woods trail (bikes only) around Enoree would be great, too many open and fast trails now.