Sign in to follow this  

Valve spring compressor.

I heard about someone making a valve spring compressor out of PVC pipe. Could you let me know how u did this and what size. I need dimensions please.Do u have to cut little holes to put the gromit and stuff back in. And how do u do it. Thank you. I just want to save a bit of money

I used a 1 1/2" long piece of 1/2" PVC tubing. It won't mar the lifter bore. You can start the windows in each side by drilling a hole, and them file them to provide enough access. Use a mechanics magnet to make the job easier. Use a 5" "C" clamp to compress the spring, put the swivel on the valve head, and the PVC tool on spring retainer side.

You responded to another post of mine for the same.It worked great.I just got done with my valves. 😢

whats a mechanics magnet. like a pen with a magnet on the tip. and the windows just put them down one side or both. details. a picture would be awesome. thanks

Yes, or a magnetic screwdriver. Yes, put a window on both sides. Once you cut the piece of PVC, and put it on the spring retainer, the rest will be obvious. You want to be able to get the collets out of the window you cut into the tube....and back in when you put it back together......