Sign in to follow this  

Best time to buy a used bike

So I sold my bike a little over a month ago to try and catch up on some things. The plan is to buy another one in Feb when I get my bonus. However the bug is tearing me up inside not know whether I'd be better off buying now or waiting until Feb/Mar. I'm just curious when the best time to buy bikes is, meaning when will more be available and the prices be lower?

If you can get an '04 now, you should be able to save a bunch on it. Best time to sell here starts July 1. The first hot weather, people are looking for a scooter.

If you want a new bike, you may find good deals on 04 models now that the 05s are coming in. You may even get a better deal around Christmas, but your selection may be poor. I suspect Feb. would be a good time to buy an 05. The dealers will be hungry for business. Once the weather warms up, they won't deal much.

If you want used, autumn is the best time to buy. A lot of people will sell cheap rather than store the bike through the winter.

Spring gives you the best selection. As the weather warms up, you will notice the number of adds in the classifieds go way up. Just before Easter/spring break usually has a lot activity. But the prices go up with availability.

In California a lot of us put our dirtbikes away during the 100 plus degree weather and get out the watercraft. In Socal the best time to buy would be in the dead of summer when it's almost too hot to ride and people want to buy something to cool them off..