Sign in to follow this  

Skills Test for the Group

We have a lot of people in here that are good at diagnosing bike problems, so figure this one out.

My 04 450 was running fine. I took it over to a friend to do some maint. stuff (susp. oil change, check valve adjustment, repack silencer). Normal stuff I just didn't have time to do.

When I got it back, it absolutely would not start.

It was getting fuel, but not flooding, and getting good spark.

The bike is stock, motorwise, except for a Steahy FWW.

What do you think the problem was? How did I cure it?

Hint: something I did getting ready to trade it in fixed it.

Maybe you just didnt adjust your valves properly if you did play with them. But dont bank on my answer cause i dont know too much when it comes to the valve adjustment.

I don't either, but the valve adjustment checked out fine, as verified by my friend the MX mechanic.

You cleaned the air filter getting ready to trade it in. 😢

That is just a guess. There is simpy not enough info given to make an educated decision.

If you re-oiled the air filter it could have to much oil. If it is getting spark, fuel, air, it should run. It would also have to have compression.

Firedude,

I actually thought of the airfilter thing , myself, in terms of maybe oilfouling the plug. The airfilter element, (and btw the sparkplug) was fine. No splooge.

Well you need 3 things for the motor to run, fuel, spark and air and you stated you had fuel and spark so that leaves air.

You forgot to pull the silencer plug out of the exhaust!!

Okay:

Can we assume the following.

1.Has gas and the petcock is turned on

2.Has sparkm and has a good plug with the cap securly on the plug

3.Valves are adjusted correctly

4.Air filter is clean and not over oiled

5.no rag in the air box where your buddy stuffed one while cleaning air filter and box.

6.Kill switch is operating normal

7.YOu are actually kicking the sucker over and not flooding it.

8.You are trying to start it in neutral which rules out cold engine clutch drag

My guess is the carb. air enrichner was out of the carb or not adjusted correctly you have aircraft headsets on and didn't realize the thing started 😢

Hi, Thumper,

Yes to all your questions.

How did you guess about the headsets? 😢 I wish it had been that easy!

BTW,

Not to pressure you guys, but I have a bet with my wife that Throttlejockey figures this out first. Don't let me down, Fred!

😢

Have you tried bump starting it??? Also try turning off your gas and kicking it without the choke on. If that dont work try to hotstart when kicking it. Sometimes bikes can have a mind of their own. Hope that is helps ya.

switched back to stock exhaust? change/add oil? check auto-decomp clearance? put new gas in it? check throttle cable? check slide in carb to make sure it wasnt upside down? clean carb?

No, all we did was check them.

Hint#2- The valves were NOT the problem. I figured I better tell you that. We have enough people in here complaining about valves! 😢

Dav,

Exhaust was stock the whole time. Good guess on the auto decomp, but that wasn't the problem. No dirt in carb, in fact the carb wasn't the problem.