Newbie - Help needed on new OFF Road Bike

I have lots of experience with street bikes but have never ridden a dirt bike in my life. I just bought two Yamaha PW50's for my twin 5 year grandsons and I need a bike to ride with them. My fear is buying something real tame and then loving it and immediately have to trade up. I have been looking at the following used bikes. 03 Honda CRF230 ($2300) 03 Honda XR250R ($2800), and a 02 Yamaha TTR250 ($2,750).

I could sure use some advise on what you experienced riders think. I am short at 5'6" and only have a 26" inseam. The CRF230 fits me better than other two bikes but I'm afraid I will soon want more suspension. The XR250 and the TTR250 are a real stretch for my short legs. I have to hang part of my butt off one side and still tippy toe just to reach the ground but I understand the suspension will be a lot better on these two bikes.

I currently ride a big BMW K1200LT and a new 05 Yamaha FJR1300, both with 31.5" seat height. I am use to tippy toeing and holding up heavy bikes but I don't know how crucial this will be with a dirt bike.

Also, would like to know pros and cons of Honda vs Yam with dirt bikes.

Thanks in Advance

Doug Hines

Benton, AR

I think the Honda XR 250/400 or the Yamaha TT-R 250 might be the best choice here. The power on these bikes is great for beginners. The Honda XR's are almost unbreakable, so they are a good value. I would choose the XR 400 since you would like to keep the bike for a long time. The XR 400 will be easy to learn on, and you won't find it to have too little power down the road.

HMM, tough call, if the TTR is watercooled and has estart I'd go for it. Being short myself, e-start is awesome!

Don't be concerned about seat height too much, I'm 5-6 and 29" inseam and ride my wr @ 37" seat height. The only time it'll be trouble is when you are just learning, after that you're rarely touching the ground anyway on top of being on a bike that is several HUNDRED pounds lighter!

I'm going to buck the trend of the other response and suggest the CRF230. Lower seat hight and electric start. It's also lighter than the TTR (which has e-start also). You will be going kind of slow with the grandsons and stopping to help them up, specially at the beginning so the e-start will be very nice. The TTR would be my second choice for chasing kids. More power and you will like it better for using by yourself some.

If you anticipate the boys advancing in skill quickly(larger bikes, going faster) or think you may get into dirt riding yourself, then the other honda would be my choice.

Just to let you know, I am 5'5 and have a TTR250 . I have no problems with the height. At first I was a little scared but then it became easy. Also I do have a 04 TTR250 for sale but its in Dallas TX.

BTW, I found the TTR much better then the xr250. Also dont wasted your time and $$ on a crf230 if you even think you may ride more often. My neighbor who's about 5'8 just got one and wasnt alll that impressed and so was I.

I would go for the Honda CRF230. It's the cheapest of the bikes you mentioned, and you said it fits you best.

I think the electric start and low seat height will be nice for you. Riding with young kids, you may find yourself starting & stopping and getting on & off your bike frequently. When and if you decide to get a bigger cc bike, you probably won't loose much money on the resale of the Honda.

Whatever you decide, you all will have some very memorable times.... ?

Not to throw a wrench into the works...but you should consider the DRZ-250 as well. Easy to ride, decent power & suspension (for new/intermediate riders) and it has both kick and electric start. Seat height and weight are comperable to the xr250&ttr250.

A decent used one will run you around $2000-2500.

hth,

If you're getting the bike to ride with 2 kids on pw's, you would learn more, faster, on a trials bike. Those other bikes are a pain ITA to go slow on, whereas a trials bike is designed for it. You could get an older one with an actual seat on it for comfort. Plus with your small stature, it would be much easier and more FUN.