Sign in to follow this  

Anybody ride a factory KTM 351 RFS yet?

Looking at handing my YZ250F down to JR. this summer. I was thinking about other bikes but it seems to come down to either a 250f or 450f. This last week at a 24hour team race I heard the new rage was a KTM 351RFS. I guess KTM finally realized their 250RFS just wasn't up to par with the other guys and so they're offering a 351 kit for their 250s and I've heard some are even installing the kit and putting them on the showroom floor. Just wondering if anyone here that rides a YZ250f has ridden one to compare. I hear the bike is within 5gms of the 250 as far as crank, rod, piston so it revs and feels just like a 250f as far as weight (rotating mass effect). Guys who have converted say they're reliable and really fast: pumping out around 42-43hp with much better torque than stock. I love my YZ250F but I admit this looks interesting. What to you guys think?

PS. The bike stock weighs like 250# but can be dropped to around 220-225# by losing the magic button, stock pipe, etc.

I have ridden a KTM 351. It was not the "Factory" model or whatever, just one that was converted to a 351 kit. I can honestly say that it did not feel like it even had the power of my YZ250F. It was slow to be only 49cc's short of a 400. Pretty sad actually. 😢

With supposedly 42hp do you think it was slow because of power to weight ratio? Or something else like compression ratio? I'd love to ride one before I commit. I love my YZF but I've owned 4 KTMs and 4 Yamahas in the past 5 years. Fit and finish, nobody beats KTM. Little quirky...but wicked fast. My Yamys have been bulletproof and more than able to complete the task.

Well, first of all, the 250EXC RFS is rediculously underpowered to be a 250 4-stroke. It doesn't have near the power of a jap. MX 4-stroke. I personally don't believe that the one I rode had 42-43hp. There's just no way. 😢 Maybe other guys are boring them out and doing other mods to get that HP? It just did not seem to have any power compared to my YZ250F and I think my 250f only has 30-something HP. 😢

the 250RFS is basically a 400 that has been reduced to 250cc's. It was never intended to be a direct competitor to the 250F. KTM offered it as a begginers bike and has had some success with anyone wanting a tame trail bike off very high quality and reliability. The entire bike is basically the same as the 400 so it is not going to feel like the lighter 250F.

The competitive 250RFS will be making the rounds of the racing circuit this year and is slated for release to the public in 06. It is supposedly very powerful and light. Alessi is supposed to be racing one in the outdoor 125 class for 05.

I hope it is as fast and light as they say because the more competitive bikes they have in any given class, the more we win as competition drives all the manufacturers to buld better bikes. Its going to have to be incredible to make me give up the YZ250F. But no bike is perfect and ain't it cool how good they are getting... 😢