Sign in to follow this  

Ok I got a question I don't see in the GS book - drop offs

I read His book cover to cover 3-4 times now and there is some talk about G outs whatever those are? My question relates to two simliar obstacles at my local Prarie City Practice MX track - not hangtown, but the small practice track where us newbies can ride.

At two spots there the track suddenly from a flat surface drops off about 4-5 feet at about a 60 dgree steep angle to grade meaning its a steep sudden drop off. What the [@#$%&*!] am I suppse to do? One location occurs maybe 15 feet after exiting a big bermed right hand turn. This drop off is 4-5 feet tall. The other location is near the bottom of a 60-70 foot down hill section that levels off for 10 feet at the bottom then drops out quickly another 3-4 feet before a left turn.

I saw one 250 2 stroke guy kinda launch his bike out over and down the little drop and roll the big one which is what I have to do on both of them. there is no lip or even a rise before to get some lift. the track just drops off

drop offs- how do you ride those?

Thats a good question. We have two 'down hill doubles' as they seem to keep called that do just that, drop off. They still kinda bother me too. What I ended up doing was following a buddy over them at about his speed and got the crap scared out of me, but I made it and here I am 😢

Advice? I treat it like a normal jump. On my 4stroke, I stay steady on the gas and let off just after I'm in the air so the bike is level, and move my body up a wee bit so I land kinda level with the landing.

Drop off to what? trying to picture what your saying. Does it drop off and continue downhill or is it some kind of double. Have you been to the Hangtown track? There is a dropoff that is kind of a double there also. Its about a 6-7ft drop. If thats the same kind of dropoff your talking about, you need speed. At the Hangtown drop off I would pin it at the corner before dropoff to shoot me far enuff out to get back to the downhill part. No lip = lotsa speed!

Assuming its a flat take off gravity will make you accellerate at 9.81m/sec regardless whether you ride off it at 10km / hr or at 80km /hr. So try it slow first. The reason blokes will say hit it with speed is cause at 60km/hr the rear wheel starts dropping toward earth five times quicker then if you ride of it at 10km/hr ( relative to when your front wheel started dipping). But you can ride off it slow if you apply just enough throttle to hold the bike level or slightly elevate the front wheel. A good technique is to just pop the smallest lowest wheelie you can off the lip.

The thing is the faster you hit it (within a safe speed) the less throttle control that is required to keep the trajectory safe.

If its 5ft id be doin it the first time in second at about 5000rp so you have some power avaialabe, but not so much that if you gas it up your going to pull the full wheeelie.

Good luck. Im sure youll find its nothing once youve nailed it a few times.

G-outs are little (or big) dips. The bigger the dip the more your suspension will compress then unload, most likely kicking up a bit. As for drop offs, how you take them depends on your landing area after the drop off. If it's flat just use a little throttle and/or clutch to lift the front end as you go off. If you're landing on a down hill with a flat drop off before it push the front away from you as you go off to get the front down.

gravity will make you accellerate at 9.81m/sec

Small typo -- you mean 9.81m/s^2

The reason blokes will say hit it with speed is cause at 60km/hr the rear wheel starts dropping toward earth five times quicker then if you ride of it at 10km/hr.

Um, no. your horizontal speed has nothing to do with your vertical acceleration due to gravity. Whatever.

Hey Bob, I don't quite get the question, but I'll take a guess. Is it just dealing with regular dropoffs, where the track drops and there's no lip to help you jump? Those are great places to practice jumping as low as possible, by standing a little tall going up to the edge, and then pulling yourself down into the bike with your heels as you go over the lip to get as low as possible. The less time in the air the better, usually, at least over dropoffs.

Maybe post a picture of one of the dropoffs you're asking about, so we can get a better idea of the question. -Mike- 😢

gravity will make you accellerate at 9.81m/sec

Small typo -- you mean 9.81m/s^2

Exactly, but given hes only dropping 1m to 1.5m theres no use squaring it. secondly the sentence above states exactly that. Your speed has nothing to do with how fast you will fall vertically. But at 50km/hr assumming he rode off it with poor throttle control the back wheel will begin to drop relative to when the front wheel drop much sooner than if he rides of it at 10km/hr. When the bike moves faster the time between the front wheel going of the lip and the back wheel going of the lip is smaller. . 😢

Um, no. your horizontal speed has nothing to do with your vertical acceleration due to gravity. Whatever.

Read the first line. "Assuming its a flat take off gravity will make you accellerate at 9.81m/sec regardless whether you ride off it at 10km / hr or at 80km /hr."

Call me stupid, but Im sure that implies to most people that horizontal speed has no implication for vertical accellaration.

But at 50km/hr assumming he rode off it with poor throttle control the back wheel will begin to drop relative to when the front wheel drop much sooner than if he rides of it at 10km/hr. When the bike moves faster the time between the front wheel going of the lip and the back wheel going of the lip is smaller. .

I think I see what you're saying now condog. I did misunderstand what you wrote. But when the bike is under power (not the poor throttle control in your example), and you are using your balance and heels to control the pitch, you can go off the the lip with good pitch no matter your speed (within reason).

I still think the best way to go over dropoffs is as fast as possible, and absorb the takeoff to get you back on the ground the soonest, where you can pin it again. Hey BigBob, where you at? You started all this argument stuff, and you haven't come back to tell us what you mean by dropoff... 😢

I totally agree the best way to hit em is fast, but if your not confident at all and not prepared to do it fast or worried about stacking it go slow and flat land it first. 4-5 ft is tiny, most C graders using Table Tops and landing on the flats are coming down from higher than that. Just take of flat applying a bit of power and absorb the landing by bending your legs upon landing. Shill be right mate. 😢 :cry: 😢

I'll post a picture. It will be a while but I'll resurect this question.

It's a simple geometry. the track section is flat at one elevation not changing direction and not sloping up or down, just going straight and level like a road, then the road (track) drops down to a lower elevation and continues on. Simple as that. No lip. no ramp no nothing it just drops down like a single 5 foot step down.

It sucks. I think I have to blip it some get some speed , be standing and get my weight back so the bike sits down as it falls is how I envision it

thanks

I think understand what your talking about. Sounds like when you go off the drop off at speed instead of rolling it you're having trouble, probably because the front end drops and the rear may even feel like it's kicking up a little. You can do a couple of different things and see which works best for you. As you go off shift your weight back and pull up without letting up on the gas. If that doesn't keep the front end up enough blip the throttle or slip the clutch to get some more lift. When you land use your legs to help absorb the shock and land on the gas. A 4-5 drop shouldn't be enough of a drop to endo so you're pretty safe working out your technique on it before trying bigger drops.

Yep blip it with weight back and youll be fine. These things have over 300mm suspension travel which means your only going to soak up a softened 3-4 ft drop with your legs.

If its really 4-5ft and your doing 25mph there is no way you can endo of this thing if you blip it or even if you just maintain throttle and keep your weight back. Prefered method. Do the blip. 😢 :cry: 😢