Sign in to follow this  

Looking, perhaps, for DRZ400

I am planning to purchase a used DRZ400 or Kawi KLR 650.

I want to be able to ride Rocky Mountain asphalt roads to fire roads and other dirt roads to access old mining towns and ghost towns and to explore some of the old mountain passes that were originally narrow gage railroad routes. I have no interest in advanced single-track riding.

ALso, I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The DRZ is listed with a seat height of 36.5 inches or so. What can a guy my size do?

I have found one aftermarket fuel tank for the DRZ that holds 3.2 gallons. This is an important issue as I don't want to get stranded in the mountains. Are there larger tanks available?

Thank you,

Ron

The kawi isnt much lower, but sounds like a better bike for your purpose.

Sounds like you are doing more long distance, but easy difficulty areas. This is perfect for the KLR650.

although the bike is tall, you have to keep in mind that it sags when you sit on it, so a 36" seat hight doesn't really tell you much. you can buy some lowering links if you need to. i'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and i have no complaints about it's height.

clarke makes a 4 gallon tank for the "S" that fits excellent.

IMS makes a 4.2 gallon tank also.

the DRZ is a great all around bike. it is a dirtbike that was modified to be street legal. it can cuise the highway but it is at home on any type of trail you want to ride it on.

the KLR is a dirtbike, but it was designed with more street riding in mind. it can be ridden on what you describe but if the trail gets fairly rugged the DRZ will certainly leap ahead of it.

if you are going to ride mostly in the dirt then the DRZ is a better suited machine by far.

if you are going to take long jaunts on the highway mixed with dirt roads, the KLR may be a more comfortable machine to spend all day on.

I was looking for a bike to do exactly the same thing you mentioned. I was going to get the Kaw 650 becuase I thought being a bigger guy, I'd need the extra power. Then a friend said to go look at the 400's. Ive got a DRZS and couldn't be happier! With the Yosh and jetting mods I'm all powered up, and though not the lightest bike in the world, its easy enough to throw around.

Yes long trips on the road are not its strong point, but I think its the perfect tradeoff.

Oh yeah, I found out later there are no fire roads in my area. 😢

I'm 5'6", about the same inseam.. and ride a DRZ400 with no real issues.

Right now I use a Kouba DRZ1 link and Suzuki low seat. But have also rode the bike qith the stock links and seat.. It is very doable, but for the height challenged,, the seat is a nice addition,, and the Kouba link is an ok trade off.

I'm 5'6", about the same inseam.. and ride a DRZ400 with no real issues.

Right now I use a Kouba DRZ1 link and Suzuki low seat. But have also rode the bike qith the stock links and seat.. It is very doable, but for the height challenged,, the seat is a nice addition,, and the Kouba link is an ok trade off.

5'6"??? damn Bronco you're only 2-beer tall... 😢 :cry:

But an all American lager that's for sure!

I went out to Buena Vista area in september and only had my stock tank running the 3x3 mod, Dj kit, 128 main . I ran all day long and never had to switch to reserve , in fact when i did fill up i was surprised to see how little fuel I had used for the day. If I was going to go on a serious cruise i would feel real comfortable with the 3.2. I'm the same exact size as you and my bike and i get along real nice like! I gave up an Xr 600 for my DRz and I could never look back now:thumbsup:

I'm the same height as you. I've had a KLR650 and currently ride a DRZ400S. The height of the DRZ took a bit of getting used to after the KLR but isn't an issue now. You might want a lower seat but you will definately not need a lowering link. If you plan to have someone else riding with you get the KLR. It's much more comfortable for two riders. Otherwise I'd say get a DRZ. The weight of the KLR was my biggest gripe with it. Especially on muddy roads or trails. The DRZ is much easier to handle and just as comfortable when I ride by myself. Stock it makes good power and does fairly well on the highway too.

Great tips. Thank you!

I'll be riding individually. I like the KLR, but the weight did put me off. A friend has the DRZ and loves it. I may even take a look at a 2001 DRZ this weekend.

Ron

I started considering the KLR and DRZ in the beginning. Now that I have so many comments and recommendations here and on the Colorado Dual Sport site, I have narrowed my choices to the KLR 650, the DRZ400, the XR650 and the DL650. ;O))

IN all seriousness, your recommendations and comments are greatly appreciated.

Ron

I am about 5’9” with a 30” inseam also. My last bikes were a 1980s vintage XL350 and XL600 which were much lower. When I first started to ride the DRZ, it felt very tall and uncomfortable. Within a couple of weeks, I became accustomed to its height and how to handle it. I had thought about lowering the bike and lowering the seat, but I would not dream of it now. The bike’s extra height is useful and I have come to rely on it.