Sign in to follow this  

InterAMA 1973 - All this and 4 inches.........

.......of rear wheel travel.

I have digitized my oldest race pictures. These are from the InterAMA race at Baldwin KS in the Summer of '73. In fact they were from my first big time race ever. I was in high school and in my first year of MX racing. It is hard to describe how shocking it was from a sensory overload point to take all of this in. I had never seen a big race on TV. I only knew some of the riders from magazines and here this track was in almost a golf course setting with actual wood mulch spread on top of the grass. The only camera I had was a Kodak Instamatic so this is only a glimpse of what it was like. Looking back it is hard to believe the riders could jump this far and high with such low tech suspensions. I guess this proves skill is most important after all.

39bigjump.jpg

bermshot.jpg

47jump.jpg

Wow! Good quality shots. The top pic is an F11M (KX250 prototype) and the bottom is a KX450. (F21?)

No wonder my knees are shot. 😢

Very good Bultaco!! But can you name all the riders?? I am getting ready to head out of town on a business trip this morning and just had the chance to post a few last night. Here are are some more.

Baldwin KS is rich farmland country with rolling hills and lots of little evergreen trees. I never personally rode the track because it was only used a few times a year. They would let the grass grow in the meantime and spread real wood mulch on the track before the InterAMA races. Years later when I went to the MXDN at Unadilla there was a similar feel except Unadilla had bigger hills. The Baldwin track closed in the mid '70's when the owner got tired of fighting his neighbors over the crowds. About 5 years ago on a driving trip I tried to locate where the track was. All I could find were corn fields in all the farm roads I drove down in the area.

BaldwinPark.jpg

Notice the dayglow silencers on the factory Hondas. I was in the bottom of the gulley on the left side of this picture the next year when Karsmakers endo'd on this very jump.

14cross.jpg

I was surprised to find this picture. I had no idea who this Bultaco rider was at the time. He had just made history a couple of months earlier.

bultacostraight.jpg

Another shot of my hero at the time. It is a little hard to see but there was a long bracket on the silencer that connected to the frame near the rear seat. Not so high tech. In '74 when the first production KX came out, they looked similar to this and I had to have one. It was a decent bike for the time.

39bigjumpcloser.jpg

Here is me on my trick TM during a training ride with my Sidi Full Bores from this same year. It looks like I am trying to imitate Lackey. Notice the mud catcher rims just like a Bultaco. I know what you mean about your knees. That evil plastic tank also had a bad hump that bit my jewels in my first race. I always wore a cup after that incident. 😢

rpfastpan.jpg

That's right; Bimbo would have been fresh off his GP win back in April. He signs everything today as "The First."

Is the Kaw rider Wyman Priddy? (The fastest rider to ever come out of Texas AND the first true privateer to ever win a National.)

As I head to the airport #39 is Bad Brad Lackey on a 250 Kawasaki riding with the big boys. Any guesses on the open support class Kaw #47?? I will respond later.

I'll work on #47. I didn't think Lackey came until '74, but yeah that would have been him.

Be sure to show your boarding pass at security. 😢

Definately before my time.

I'll go with Weinert even though he looks too small to be big Jim. Other than Priddy and Lackey, that's all I knew on Kaw. bakc then.

Great pics. Thanks.

Man that track looks awsome. Just think how many ghost tracks are out there buried in the landscape.

Cool. 😢

OK boys here is one more picture. I am surprised there has been no more guesses on who these riders are. What happened, did I go too far back in my moto history? This one should be too obvious for the times.

3turnbaldwin.jpg

I am in Orlando FL for a business meeting at the moment and will not be able to repond again until I get back home this evening.

39 I think you already said was lackey. #3 is Karsmaker. Not sure on that 41, could it be Maarty Smith? The crossed up Honda with the red silencer Gary Jones. Already know Pomeroy. 14T Tripes.

Cool pic's. 😢

Damn the mechanical problems but I just got home from FL.

#41 is Rich Eierstadt. The rest of the Honda pictures are all of Tripes. I clearly knew who he was from winning the first Super Bowl of MX in '72.

To me the fastest rider that day was someone I had never heard of at that point, Mike Hartwig. He was the winner of the Open support class on a Husky. I remember I was taken back by his riding style because he would hit the jumps hard and didn't seem to care if he landed nose first or tail first as long as he landed upright. The only picture I have or Hartwig from that day is this one and he is only a blur in the lead. Like I said, he was real fast. Too fast for the camera I was using that day.

Supportstart.jpg

Here is a similar shot from the International class first moto from that day. Babravorsky is already past the camera and Karsmakers and Falta are neck and neck. At the end of the moto Pierre had enough of the 2 CZ commies and punched Falta out. Lackey is the green blur near the fence.

interamastart.jpg

It seems most of my pictures that day were of either Tripes or Lackey. I didn't really know who Karsmakers was at this point even though he was starting a big run that pulled the faster American riders along with him.

Tripes again.

14jump.jpg

Lackey again leading into the infamous Baldwin gulley.

39turn.jpg

I noticed most of my pictures were of this section of the track where Karmakers endo'd the next year. I think I liked the fact that coming out of the gulley the riders were thrown extra high in the air due to the steep face. The riders also had to use english to set up for the straight that lead off to the left.

The big jump Lackey cross up shot at the beginning of this thread was also taken in this section. 😢

In the second pic down - notice the Maico banner. I have never seen a white one like that. I've seen hundreds of Maico banners but they've all been red with yellow lettering. Interesting.

Say, got any unusual pics of Barnett? I'll see him next weekend. He's kinda shy and very quiet. I need something to get him going. 😢

Bultaco206 you should ask Barnett if he remembers the Baldwin track I know Mark came down from Illinois and won a big AMA Regional qualifier race at Baldwin in '75 or '76. I was not there to see it but I remember that he beat some of the guys I raced against.

Looking back it is hard to believe the riders could jump this far and high with such low tech suspensions. I guess this proves skill is most important after all.

This is known as the Rolf Tibblin position. When I've borrowed bikes I get a lot of teasing about my old-school "style".

47jump.jpg

But it is most effective on these short-travel suspensions. Note the front-wheel high attitude displayed by the rider on the left, and the correct landing position on the right! 😢

Alright, he's overdoing it a bit. 😢39bigjumpcloser.jpg

Nice form on the TM, Chiefan!

I have now digitized all that I can find of my B&W negatives from my press photographer days. This will keep me busy for awhile just going through them. When I was a press photographer, shooting 3 or 4 - 36 exposure rolls per race was not unusual. It was unusual if 60% were worth printing and only 5 or 6 of the best would ever see publication to represent what happened at each race.

There are precious few from my personally atteneded races like this InterAMA so I am pleased that any negatives survived after 30+ years. These are the only other shots I have left from that first big race in Baldwin in '73.

I am not sure who this Bultaco rider is but he is dropping down into the Baldwin gulley.

bultacojump.jpg

The Japanese made production bikes like my Suzuki TM250 were basically hopped up trail bikes. The works bikes from Japan like Karsmakers' YZ were totally different. Yamaha started selling the first production YZ's, pre monoshock days within another year and they became the first purpose built good winning MX bikes from Japan. In looking back they had the motor but still had a long way to go to catch the overall packages of Maico and Husky.

Kflight.jpg

The last 2 pics I have to share from '73 are of Lackey.

39straight.jpg

and Tripes

14turnBaldwin.jpg

As these glimpses of 1973 slide back into the past on this forum. I found one more picture of me taken on Thanksgiving Day of that year by my Karsmakers boots buddy Dave Osborn. If you strain your eyes you can barely make out his Hodaka Super Rat in the trees behind me. I am trying to do a "Lackey" for the camera but he took the picture a little too soon. No, I did not crash but I shudder to think about doing this kind of stuff on that old Suzuki. My trail thumper from today would've eaten that bike alive. 😢😢

rpcrossup2.jpg