Sign in to follow this  

Tag matrix clamps

I am looking at the ad on ebay for the Matrix clamps but recall someone recently having problems with Tag's. If I remember correctly, it was something to do with the steering stops. Also, is anyone aware of any other issues with these clamps? Its a great price, but I am not sure its the brand for me. The seller is saying that it requires the use of the factory lower bearing, but I am not sure why. Those who have these clamps or know of their suitablility, please let me know.

Clamps are an upcoming Xmas present. I just have to find what I want. I really like the BRP / Scotts combo kit, but its definately a little pricey.

The tags are a killer price and Rubber Mounted. They are top notch.

The pinch bolts on the top clamp are angled back so when you turn the wheel if you have an IMS3.2 (Maybe other tanks also.) the bolts hit the tank. Leaving little vampire marks.

I dont think its too serious but to remedy it you either have to limit your steering radius or what I think is a better idea change the bolts to stainless button cap screw types which have a rounded head and allen head.

A common problem with the TAGs on ebay from Siesmic Cycles is that the lower bearing is the wrong one. But others I believe were successful getting him to correct that little issue. I ended up buying a bearing. 😢

Anyways I am about to swap over to 99-00 TAG T2 clamps (not rubber mounted 😢) and 99-00 49mm USD forks. So my TAG matrix clamps will be sold at that time. Wish I could get a set for 99-00 RMs 😢

Oh well the T2 clamps are top notch also. 😢 :cry:

Not steering stops per say... but the design of the clamps,, and the angle of the pinch bolts,,,,may interfere with after market tanks. Stock is not a problem. The only other issue with the Ebay clamps from that one dealer is that the bearing is not right. Simply fix,, and still a great price after the purchase of a new bearing....more so if you can remove the old and install the new your self.

I just recently got a set. I agree that they are top shelf parts. I have an IMS 3.2 tank and the upper clamp just barely contacts the tank at full lock. I chose the quick fix of adding some small rubber bumpers to the contact area, and all is good for now. I may slightly increase the metal tab steering stop for a better fix. The seller is great to work with. At my request they substituted a set of mini bars for my son's TTR as I did not need new bars for my Z. I also mentioned that I was putting the clamps on a DRZ, and they came with the correct bearing, I just had to press it on. All in all, I recommend them, especially if you still have a stock tank! 😢 :cry:

Why are you replacing the stock clamps?

Do the Tag clamps move the bars forward or up any?

Via verse... You dont need adapers for fatbars..

they move it back to original place 😢

Why?

Because they are stronger look trick and yes they do move the bars way forward. They also can be configured so that you can choose 2 forward mounting positions. They are also rubber mounted.

Why?

Because they are stronger look trick and yes they do move the bars way forward. They also can be configured so that you can choose 2 forward mounting positions. They are also rubber mounted.

Now that sounds like a good reason, I would like a little more forward. Can you really tell a deference being rubber mounted.

One of my near future plans is to add a stabilizer. Will the scotts stabilizer mounting plate work with the Tag clamps. In other words, will the holes all line up?