Sign in to follow this  

95 XR 250 noise

I recently aquired a 95 xr 250. It's tough to start, rough idling, and it sounded like it was making some valve noise. It smokes when started, but I dont know if it smokes when its warm (its cold and humid in washington, so exhaust has a tendency to steam, and while I'm riding there is only so much time I am willing to spend looking backward while moving forward!) SO I brought it in to the local honda dealer to ask for their opinion.

I figured since the gas in it is a year or two old (hasnt been run in a while) that would explain the starting idling and a fresh tank and a quick valve adjustment would have me on my way. The bike LOOKS like its been very lightly used. MINIMAL paint wear on the frame, all bearings and bushings seem good, everything looking in good origonal cond (even has the stock pipe!)

I took it in and they said it sounded like more then the valves, and the top end probably had to be rebuilt (if not the entire motor). They took a look at the dirty K&N air filter and said that that was probably the cause of its early demise (K&N letting lots of particulates into combustion chamber)

They said it'd cost about $250 to pull the motor and diagnose the problem, then depending on how serious it was between $800 and $1000 out the door running again (including the 250 to pull the motor).

This being my first 4 stroke, and first honda I had no knowledge to challenge this diagnosis, so I simply thanked them and loaded the bike back on the trailer.

Could there be any better news? or is my rattling noise at idle the sound of a thousand dollars worth of repairs, exceding the value of the bike?

Once it is running, it seems to run well(if under-revved, it will bog a little during shifts/takeoff) but it seems to have good power (the only 4stroke 250 I can compare it to was a 2001 kawasaki mojave quad-my XR would have smoked the quad)

I figured, right or not I wasnt willing to pay that much> I have relativly good mechanical abilities, and with a manual I could figure out how to pull the motor, no prob.

Can anyone help me? or should I just start looking for another bike?

Thanks

Geoff

Well, that depends on how loud this ratteling noise is!

Set the tappets to IN: 4 thou, EX: 5 thou, and start it up and tell us how it sounds!

Hopefully it will be ok! 😢

If not, you can look elsewhere. There's no point thinking you may have to get rid of it, if you dont know if it may be somthing as simple as adjusting the tappets!

My 03 XR4 started to get a bit rattely, I set the tappets, then it was fine!

I have no experience with these bikes, is there a website with steb by step procedure? or should I search the site?

Thanks

Geoff

Yea check out the website with the step by step procedure, and give it a go! You'll be rite! 😢

What's the address for this web site? I'll check it out.

Geoff, I would first start with draining the gas and starting with a fresh tank of gas. Also, I would drain the oil and replace it. I would try something synthetic. I'm not sure what to run in your climate, down here in texas I run 20w50 in my 96 250. Clean the airfilter as well. Also, remove the spark plug and check it for any signs of either running rich, burning oil etc.

Look for any metal shavings in the drained oil as well when you change the oil. Always a sign of trouble.

After you've done these things, see how she behaves. More then likely it will probably need to have the carb cleaned out if it sat for awhile, but I would definitely start with fresh gas first.

$1000 for a top end job seems very steep. When I first purchased my bike, it was burning a little oil after it got warmed up real well (after about 20 minutes of good riding or so). I was worried about having to rebuild the top end. After changing the oil and filter, it stopped smoking. Even so, I asked around town and the best deal I found was around $350 for a top end job.

Good luck,

BT