Sign in to follow this  

View from my office window...

I wish it was legal to ride snowmobiles on that rock! Did you get me a potato from spudsville?

I took this photo today while at work.

10856437-M.jpg

Man, I got a tough job! 😢

You suck 😢

I want that job 😢

Flying is Easy... It's the landing that's hard.. 😢

I have a popular framed photo that looks just like that, but I think you were at a higher altitude... Keep takin the photos.. I'd love to have a few. All of my flying has been below 16,000.. 😢

It ain't always glitz and glamour you know!

Here's the first airplane I flew for hire...

10867400-M.jpg

I got to chuck up to fifty people a day out of this hunk o junk! Skydivers are a loony bunch, I tell you. 😢

Oldbones,, while I aint no licensed pilot,, I've spent a lot of time in planes.. Ummmmmm, aint there some things missing from that old dash board 🤣 😉😢🤣

😢 :cry: 🤣 😛🤣

Great picture BTW

😢

Wish I was there,, headed out to the coast in just a few minutes for the weekend. Work 🤣😢 :cry: 😢🤣😉🤣 No riding for me anytime soon.

Nice pic OBie! 😢 :cry:

One day like that makes up for a bunch of zero-vis days, for sure.

At least include some window frame next time so we can guess at aircraft type... 😢

Corporate? AS? QX?

Interesting skydiving rig - were the instruments removed to add more 'divers??

😢 :cry:

I have gotten to fly a Decathlon and a Maule with floats, 2 times each. Not land of course. My ex's dad had the Maule as well as a Skymaster. They live in Fairbanks AK and I got to go visit this summer. It was great.

I've wanted to fly since I was a little girl. Someday when I have the money for lessons I will do it.

20316new_pilot.jpg

20316plane_pic_4.jpg

20316maule_lost_lake.jpg

OK....

You all are really making me feel bad. I love to fly but have not done nearly enough in my extremely limited experience. My brother-in-law gets to fly Lears, Citations, and the ocasional 737, and even has the audacity to associate it with the word "work". Me, a high point was doing a loop and roll at the stick of an AT-6 Texan.

Greg

Oldbones,

Cool Pic! 😢 That brought back some memories. I've landed on top of that mountain about a dozen times in a Chinook helicopter back in my flight engineer days. It gets kkkkkkoldddd up there @ 14,400'. We used to work with the park rangers pulling climbers off that got into trouble. Pretty nice view from up there on a clear day!

I've landed on top of that mountain about a dozen times in a Chinook helicopter back in my flight engineer days.

How high can a chinook helicopter go before the rotors don't work very well?

OK....

You all are really making me feel bad. I love to fly but have not done nearly enough in my extremely limited experience. My brother-in-law gets to fly Lears, Citations, and the ocasional 737, and even has the audacity to associate it with the word "work". Me, a high point was doing a loop and roll at the stick of an AT-6 Texan.

Greg

Greg, I didn't know you used to fly. Jeez. What else you gotten hidden up your sleave? 😢

So lets see. Accomplished sailor (Florida to Seattle, via the Panama Canal right?), dirt biker, street rider, AND pilot? And family guy. Nice. 😢

When I was a kid, my dad was took flying lessons in a float plane and I used to get to go along for the ride. It was awesome. He flew out of Little Ferry, NJ, on the Hackensack River. I remember the little stretch of river they used, you had to clear this bridge on take off and landing. It was wild. 😢

Unfortunately, he had problems with his ear or hearing, something like that, so had to discontinue his lessons. And he was older, I think in his 50's when he started, so maybe there is hope for another old fart like myself to learn to fly someday. 😢

Ed

Ed, my oldest student was over 70.

You got at least two or three more years! 😢

Ed, my oldest student was over 70.

You got at least two or three more years! 😢

😢 :cry: 😢

Over 70?! Wow. Well, then there's hope for me yet. Now if I can just get over this crazy fear of heights. 😢

Oldbones,

Cool Pic! 😢 That brought back some memories. I've landed on top of that mountain about a dozen times in a Chinook helicopter back in my flight engineer days. It gets kkkkkkoldddd up there @ 14,400'. We used to work with the park rangers pulling climbers off that got into trouble. Pretty nice view from up there on a clear day!

hey Thumpster; where you in the 214th at Ft Lewis? I worked in flight operations there from 1988 till about 91 or so.. worked quite a few search and rescues; from the ground though.. I was also in the 147th (which later came under the 214th as well) in Hawaii (from 85 till 88); I love them Chinooks.. nothing like flying a greyhound bus at 200 knots

I've landed on top of that mountain about a dozen times in a Chinook helicopter back in my flight engineer days.

How high can a chinook helicopter go before the rotors don't work very well?

When I was in the Army, I recall reading about a Chinook landing near the summit (touching wheels down anyway) of Mt McKinnly in Alaska. The peak is over 20,000 feet, but I think they were at around 18,000 or so.

I also remember reading an amazing story also in the eighties about a world record altitude flight by a Sikorsky Skycrane. I can't recall the exact altitude but it was over 40,000 feet. The incredible thing was while they were descending, they lost first one, then both engines and then bascially auto-rotated for over something like 20-30,000 feet before they got the engines restarted.. talk about your pucker factor moments..

<sigh> sometimes I miss my Army days; had some pretty fun times and flew in some neat places

Oldbones,

hey Thumpster; where you in the 214th at Ft Lewis? I worked in flight operations there from 1988 till about 91 or so.. worked quite a few search and rescues; from the ground though.. I was also in the 147th (which later came under the 214th as well) in Hawaii (from 85 till 88); I love them Chinooks.. nothing like flying a greyhound bus at 200 knots

The D model is good to around 20,000' but the pilots will tell ya that the controls get pretty mushy, not enough air to bite into 😢 I work as a miltech for the army reserve - A Co 5/159 (The Hook-rs) been there since '85. The Chinooks are pretty cool but not really intended for those altitudes even though they perform better there than many other helicopters...power baby yes!! 😢 Newmanr19 the Chinook community is fairly small and you might actually know a few of the guys I work with...it's all inbred 😢 :cry:

The D model is good to around 20,000' but the pilots will tell ya that the controls get pretty mushy, not enough air to bite into 😢 I work as a miltech for the army reserve - A Co 5/159 (The Hook-rs) been there since '85. The Chinooks are pretty cool but not really intended for those altitudes even though they perform better there than many other helicopters...power baby yes!! 😢 Newmanr19 the Chinook community is fairly small and you might actually know a few of the guys I work with...it's all inbred 😢 :cry:

I went to look up the service ceiling of the Chinook and came across this site.. Found out there were so many different versions and different uses that it was difficult to come back with a simple service ceiling answer... Figured I'd wait for your answer.... What better info than from one who works and flys them eh?

But for the curious ones that like to read, check this site out:

The ol' Hooker Hangout

2PLY,

Thanks for the link, some good stuff if you like helicopters. I noticed the fine collection of trials bikes in your signature. Trials is an awesome sport of rider skill, it humbles me to think what you can do on those bikes. 😢