Sign in to follow this  

synthetic oil

I just did a few search's on synthetic oil vs regular oil and my head hurts! I searched the general forum. What are you guys running in your dr650's? I have also found different opinions on when to switch? One last question, how important is the 600 miles service? Thanx a bunch, Ed

I also noted that my owners manual calls for sg or sf oil and the oil they sold me is sj? Could someone please fill me in? Is sj ok? Thanx, Ed

I use Honda's 10-40 non-synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is questionable to use with the DR's clutch pack,it may cause slipping. The Honda lube is what the dealer recomended. Ok,why not? Being a good oil is enough for me. I believe that it shouldn't be rocket science. Pick a brand and stick with it. Change it every 2,500 miles or sooner for dirty conditions. Its that simple. Reguardless of the brand keep the oil clean and fresh and the engine will last a long time.

Mike.

I too got dizzy reading all the oil threads. I went with mobil 1 "red cap" 15w-50 synthetic. My bikes run great, the clutches NEVER slip, and the oil still looks great when I drain it. With the normal (non-synthetics), I found that they looked pretty tired when I would drain the oil. Maybe it's all in my head but hey, they're MY bikes

I started using mobil 1 red cap at 1000 miles also. no negatives. shifts excellent.

Clutch slippage with Synthetic oil is not a problem. I have been using AMSOIL 10w-40 with zero problem. I actually get about 2% better mileage also, and the engine does run cooler. That is a major plus with a air/oil cooled engine. Sure its more expensive, but its worth it in the long run.

I too got dizzy reading all the oil threads. I went with mobil 1 "red cap" 15w-50 synthetic. My bikes run great, the clutches NEVER slip, and the oil still looks great when I drain it. With the normal (non-synthetics), I found that they looked pretty tired when I would drain the oil. Maybe it's all in my head but hey, they're MY bikes

Ok,I had heard that the clutch slipped for some with the synthetics but I guess there are no worries there.

I do swear by them in both my trucks though(mobil 1 10/30)

In fact my wife threw the belt in my truck last summer which disabled the water pump.Not sure on what to do she drove it home :crazy:15 miles :shocked:there was no water in the radiator when she got home and it took almost n hour for it to cool down to where it wasn't pegging the temp gauge! 😢

Wouldn't have believed it but the truck runs fine,seems to have sustained no damage!Amazing!I attribute that to Mobil 1!

I just worried about what it would do to the clutch packs.bet the engine runs cooler!

Mike