Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Changing oil and oil filter on 2005 YZ250F?

Hi I just got my bike 2 days ago and rode yesterday the thing is awesomeeeeeee but besides the point, when I looked in the manuel to see how much oil it takes when i change it it says 1.0 liter for just oil change then 1.1 liter for oil change and oil filter change then it says 1.2 liter total? My question is how much oil does my bike take exact if I'm going to change the oil and oil filter? And how much oil exact does my 05 YZ250F take if I was just going to change the oil and not oil filter?

Thank's sooo much and please respond ASAP!

for the first couple of rides change the oil and the filter. You want to make sure that any assembly debris or gear shavings are cleaned out.

1 liter to just change the oil, 1.1 liter to change the oil and the filter. The design is very forgiving if you add too much.

Ok thank's for clarifing that for me but I got 2 other question's. It says to change your oil in the manuel you got to take off the frame oil drain bolt, crankcase oil drain bolt and oil filter element drain bolt, but if I was just going to do a oil change and not a oil change and oil filter change I would only take the first 2 bolts out correct? Also after doing that it says in the manuel to remove lower engine bracket, oil hose clamp, bolt, oil hose, and oil straner so you can just inspect it and if it is clogged to blow it out, do I have to do that when I do a oil change or I should just do that once in a while and if only once in a while how often?

Thank's so much!!!!!!!!

The ideal way to drain the frame oil is by loosening the bolt that attaches the oil line on the right side of the engine case. It's a 6mm bolt head just below the water pump.

Draining the frame oil here not only keeps you from figuring out clever ways to keep the frame drain bolt hole dumping all the oil on the front tire, it also drains that oil line that doesnt get drained otherwise (typically).

You do need to pull the frame screen out and make sure there is no assembly sealant in there the first time you change oil. If the bike had boogers from assembly this is where they will end up.

I would suggest you getting a couple filters for an 02 yz250f. They are brass mesh and reusable ($10/ea.). That way you can swap them out every oil change. Which at first should be every ride, and if your anal like some of us every ride day from then on. Oil is a lot cheaper than that engine is.

Thank's a lot man, I just finished changing my oil and oil filter for the first time and I also did look at the oil strainer but it looked awesome and there was nothing inside or on the outside of the screen. I am def. going to change my oil and oil filter's a lot. I bought 12 HiFlo Oil Filter's for like 40 Bucks and I have like 2 gallons of oil, so about every 2 ride's im going to change the oil and oil filter. But how often do you think I should look at the strainer?

Thanks again!

well based on the history of rider reports through this forum, and from what I can gather from the shop that I frequent. Once or twice early on is enough.

The screen has holes on it that would let the average iceberg flow past. So all it's going stop is sealant boogers or gasket material.

However there is no law saying you cant check it as often as you need to, to make yourself feel secure. 😢

The ideal way to drain the frame oil is by loosening the bolt that attaches the oil line on the right side of the engine case. It's a 6mm bolt head just below the water pump.

Draining the frame oil here not only keeps you from figuring out clever ways to keep the frame drain bolt hole dumping all the oil on the front tire, it also drains that oil line that doesnt get drained otherwise (typically).

You do need to pull the frame screen out and make sure there is no assembly sealant in there the first time you change oil. If the bike had boogers from assembly this is where they will end up.

I would suggest you getting a couple filters for an 02 yz250f. They are brass mesh and reusable ($10/ea.). That way you can swap them out every oil change. Which at first should be every ride, and if your anal like some of us every ride day from then on. Oil is a lot cheaper than that engine is.

Are you saying the old 2002 filters will work in the 2005? If so that is awesome. Please pm me with the details or any differences. Thanks.

I would suggest a BillyWho Man Funnel. It will keep all the oil from ending up on the garage floor from the frame bolt and getting under the glide plate when you drain the bolt on the shifter side. One more little thing I found.... Be careful with the frame screen. The thing is just tack welded together and they cost a small fortune to replace if it comes apart. I have an 01 and checked the frame screen the first few times and have never found anything in there.... Have fun...

PS>>> A good synthetic oil is cheap insurance for your bikes well being..

Just my .02

Please don't continue to change oil without at least pulling the filter! These motors have failed many times due to filter clogged with clutch material and other residue. Once you starve the crank of oil, you have a 216 pound parts bike......

Please don't continue to change oil without at least pulling the filter! These motors have failed many times due to filter clogged with clutch material and other residue. Once you starve the crank of oil, you have a 216 pound parts bike......

While I agree that there is no excuse for not servicing the oil filter at every oil change, and it is true that, like any filter, the YZ oil filter could become clogged, it is also true that like every well designed full-flow oil filter setup, a clogged element will NOT starve the engine. It is precisely for this purpose that the Filter Bypass Valve is built in to every filter element. This valve is located on the closed end of the filter, and opens if the media becomes clogged, allowing oil through to the important stuff.

HOWEVER, oil that bypasses the filter is not filtered, except by the feed screen in the frame, and that is not nearly enough.

So, do something to make sure your $2500 engine gets a clean filter every time you change the oil, which should be every 2-3 rides. You can buy paper in bulk, or buy a brass filter from an '02 and clean it (carefully) each time. The best bet is to step up and buy a high quality stainless steel mesh filter, like the Scotts. There are less expensive SS filters available, but the mesh their elements are made of is not as good. The Scotts unit filters twice as well as the brass OEM types, is not easily damaged during cleaning, and will last 2-3 years, at least. Can you buy a 3 year supply of filters for $70 any other way?

The Bell helmet company used to have an ad slogan; "If you have a 40 dollar head, buy a 40 dollar helmet" (slogan adjusted for inflation). The same logic applies to protecting your engine.

😢

Seems like we had this discussion before, but my 02 has a paper filter in the crankcase. I guess the same model could have been shipped with both.

Seems like we had this discussion before, but my 02 has a paper filter in the crankcase. I guess the same model could have been shipped with both.
The paper and brass OEM filters are interchangeable. My guess is that, if you bought used, that's what the previous owner put in it. Otherwise, maybe the Parts Guy sold it to you as an "improvement" when he ran out of the brass ones. The paper element wasn't factory installed until '03, when Yamaha lowered the oil capacity.

😢