Sign in to follow this  

Power Up Needle Question

I just did the Jet mod posted in the stickey. Great job, btw. When I bought my pilot and main jets, they didn't know what a "Power Up" needle was. So, I did everything in the stickey EXCEPT change the needle and remove the small brass piece that's in the main jet hole (The needle jet?). I just moved the clip to the 4th position of my stock needle and put it back in. My question is, will I get the same performance, or is the power up needle better?

You'll get a difference. Changing the main jets makes a difference, but chaning the needle makes more of a difference.

You can bring them the part numbers and they can look it up and get it for you. The dealer I went to knew what it was and had to order it.

However, your bike should be jetted fine with the stock needle, but to get a snappier bike and a crisper throttle responce, the needle is the hot ticket.

-Phill

Have you had the opportunity to ride your bike with the new jets installed ? I think you will like the way it runs now. The accessory needle is only slightly different than stock. (a tad richer @3/4 throttle) If you are not real sensitive to fine jetting changes, you may in fact not be able to discern any difference. I have done back to back tests and the difference is really hard to detect. If youy live in and ride mostly at low elevations (sea level)and ride the snot out of your bike, I would recommend the purchase and installation. Another note: If you do decide to buy the needle assembly, the needle jet that comes with the new needle is the same as the one already in the carb. You DO NOT need to change them. Just install the needle with the clip in the 4th groove. I am currently running the stock needle in my bike, but I normally ride in higher(4500-6500) elevations. The 132 main is in there as is a 45 pilot.