Sign in to follow this  

When cutting the 3*3 mod , Do i need to remove airbox ?

Or I can do it on the bike ?

(Will need to clean the airbox from the inside then???)

And which tool do you use to cut it ?

i asked same ? last week. thought i wuz gonna have to buy a tool, but i used a utility knife. prob.not a good idea, but i did wear heavy gloves as those knives scare the s**t outta me.

lay out your cut line,, and you can make the cut with the box installed no problem.. Lots of possible tools,, from a knife, to a dremel, to rotozip, to a small torch with a soldiering iron tip. Anything that will cut soft plastic will work.

Yes be ready to clean out the left overs once done cuting.

I made the 3x3 cut, then covered up the air filter area and used a garden hose to clean the plastic shavings out of the airbox. There's a drain on the bottom of the airbox and so you can pull that off to allow the water to drain more easily. 😢

I used a bernzomatic torch, heated up a putty knife, and made a series of "melted cuts". Perfect, and carterized )?) it at the same time. No mess, no problem.

I used sabre saw, covered the air filter, then wiped and vacumed out the box with my shop vac.

DREMEL tool with router bit. turn it wide open and angle the bit when you cut. had it cut out in about 2 minutes. also lay a rag over the air filter so you dont get the black crud on the filter.

Put masking tape on the top to mark out your pattern, then use a hole saw with a drill to cut out the 4 corners, I used a 1". I then used a drywall saw to cut from the edge of the holes, leaves a rough edge but that can be filed down afterward. I actually cut a diffrent sized hole, something like a 3.75x2.75 so the opening was slightly larger, nothing that matters (air boot regulated the flow into the carb) but the reason was to be able to keep and used the stock mounting area of the black box... Just remember to remove your air filter to protectit and put a rag in the bottom of the air box to catch most of the shavings so you can remove them with the rag.... Also be careful not to slice into the bottom of the air box..

I used a hand held hacksaw blade and followed up with a file and air compressor. Worked great. 😢