UPDATE - Hardwiring my camcorder, and GPS to my bike's 12V supply.

Long story short;

I'm tired of hauling extra batterys around on my XR when I'm making video of a ride.... using a CCD (HelmetCamera) and my Sony Camcorder.

The output of my AC adapter says it's 8.4V and 1.5Amps for my camcorder. The CCD is (8) 1.5V AA batteries or 12V.

I don't want to assume anything... and am wondering what it would take to literally be able to run a cord from my camcorder and CCD to a cigarette lighter adapter on my bike. Given the bike puts out anything in the range of 11.5V to 13.5V as tested.

Ideas???

Anyone doing this now???

...And don't think I haven't thought about running a small inverter. I have one that would work, but I was trying to eliminate as much wiring as possible. If I run an inverter, I'd be plugging it into a hardwired cigarette lighter behind my number plate. Then run the cord into a backpack (where the AC plug would be) where I had the power for the camcorder plugged in as well as the CCD, my cell phone... SAT phone.... and any other toys I can think of. ? It's the last resort for me if nobody has a degree in electrical engineering and can't figure out what I need.

THANKS in advance... for any help you may have to offer!!

Hey johnny, I was thinking the same thing. I had initially purchased a 12 volt rechargable battery in place of the 'AA' set-up. You can buy the sealed 12 volt batteries at the new chain of retailers like Battery World. They are compact and fairly light.

The problems with hardwiring are two fold. First, does your bike have electric start? If not, then you only have a/c, not d/c power. Let's say you have electric start, be sure to wire a power port directly to the battery. (A power port is a cig lighter socket) Read the thread about the guy that cut off the end of his car adapter and smoked his GPS. Let's say you have d/c and you are hardwired. Did you provide enough wire to move your body around and not feel tied to a leash? Be careful though, too much slack and a tree branch WILL snag it. I know, it happened to me! The second major consideration is 'What happens when you unexpectedly dismount over the bars?' It happened to me yesterday. Are the quick disconnectors too tight? If so, there will be damage to the wires or the camera(s)? Too loose, and you get undependable connections. That = bad video

When everything is self contained in your backpack, you have fewer problems and worries. I don't like the extra weight, but after 2 major over the bars flips yesterday, I have decided the it will be wiser to keep the camera and battery in the backpack. I plan on mounting a rear fender pack for the other junk in the backpack. That will lessen the load enough to be comfortable.

I hear ya on all apsects...

However, I do have a DP kit installed, so I've got 12V out (battery power) and not just AC for a stock bike. Hence the mention of a cig adapter (I just assumed on that part you were all thinking I'm smart enough to know about that... again, don't assume right?! ? )

It'll be 10X easier if I just run a small inveter. And yes, I already run a "push to talk" on my bars for my VHF radio setup... and I know about the "get off" situation. Thank goodness when I'm all 'wired' I don't get off too often. If I run the inverter... I'll just run a cig lighter adapter plug that disconnects easily enough.

I think I'll be placing all this; (in the backpack)

- camcorder

- camcorder AC cord

- inverter

- 12V power adapter (for CCD camera)

The only thing leaving my backpack is the cord to the cig adapter, and the microphone/CCD camera cord up to my helmet. Everything else will be neatly secured within the backpack with zip ties and such.

Nice thing about using a Inverter, is I get to bring along my AC stuff to plug in when I get to my destination. And ... even better, the battery on my camcorder will be charging while I ride (as it uses the input power from AC to charge the battery instead of a remote charger).

So once all installed in the backpack, I'll have even more to deal with! UGH! ? I've already got a damn VHF radio on my chest protector (front side), the helmet camera setup, and my push to talk cord up to my bars. Let alone the cord down my right arm for the LANCE cord to the camcorder.

I've got way too many cords !!

When I stop for a beer break... it takes me a long time to unsuit, unplug, and get situated for that cold one. Let alone the time to get back on the steed!

Oh well, it's what it takes for quality video footage and radio communication to tell my buddies "Do a damn wheelie or something!!" ?

As anyone ever considered one of the smaller dv cameras mounted to L bracket of sorts on the side of the helmet.. It would be completely self contained, requires nothing, but the camcorder and Extra helmet when you want to record.. Yes there would be drawbacks.. such as crash damage, dust going directly to camcorder, etc.. but wouldn't there be alot of advantages to? Any feedback on this idea? I think it's feasable.. just wear the old D.V Helmet when you want an hours worth of footage. Not wires, no mess... switch helmets when your done.

I've considered it over and over...

And even saw an old school High8 on some guys helmet this last weekend. Too funny.

You could even put the small camcorder into a waterproof container like a diver would use... and affix that. There's many options... many of them I've thought of as well. But all in all, it seems like there'd be more camera vibration, wind issues, very little weight issues, and still the same pain in the butt issues when it came to removing the camera for a bit of regular footage (not helmet footage).

You could even control a bit of zoom with the camera on the helmet... something you can't do with the CCD on your helmet unless you change the tiny lense on a pit stop (helmetcamera's are $21 a pop).

Ideas... love'em! Keep them coming!!!

...and as I think about it, there was another guy from THRUST.COM with a larger more professional camera at Glamis. It was wrapped in clear plastic. All but the lense. Which seemed to have a colar around it... allowing clear vision through the camcorder but keeping sand and dust from entering the workings of the camcorder. ANYONE have knowledge of these setups?!?!

Just thought I'd tell you all...

My HelmetCamera and Camcorder system worked well.... really well.

Here's exactly how it's done on my bike;

- Wired a 12V Cigaretter lighter female adapter onto my bike, behind my BajaD Tecate HID light, directly connected to my battery (8) AA rechargeables)

- Connected a 10' cigarette lighter adapter extension (which only is about 2-3' coily cord) to my install, the other end to my fanny pack. Where it....

- connects to a "Y" cigaretter adapter connector. This Y, then connects one side to my....

- 12v connection to the HelmetCamera CCD. The other side of the Y connects to....

- a small 140w inverter. That inverter supplies 110v AC to my camcorder adapter that also charges my camera battery, all the while running on AC supplied by the inverter.

- I also have a LANCE connection down my arm to operate the camera.

SOUND like a lot of wires, complex, and a pain??? NAaaa... it's not that bad, really! It takes the frustration and worry out of thinking, "Did my CCD camera battery die?" or more like, "am I still recording? I have a green light on my LANCE...? But, is everything juiced with battery power still?"

Ahhh...

Now I can ride for 8hrs... and not worry that my CCD battery or camcorder is without power. I only have to stop and change tapes every so often. And... my LANCE will tell me when to do that!!! Nice!

This weekend I'll be riding 240mile loops... there and back in Baja. Video'ing the entire ride, and other aspects like bar scenes, the tequila bottle... before and after... and hopefully it'll be some funny stuff to add to my movies.

STAY TUNED!!

?

Sounds like a workable setup. Do you have a kickstart for backup.. ?

I would need one extra female socket for my GPS.

What small 140 inverter did you go with?

Oh ya... the BRP has a kick starter!

I also have an extra "Y" at the bars for the GPS. I used to have it hard wired into the harness, but couldn't monitor the health of the connection to well. Sometimes I'd lose 'external' power... maybe in the crimps I had done. Now it's 200' of extra cable all neatly tied up behind my hand guard with the ciggy adapter plugged in at the triple clamp.

I used a XantaX inverter. It's rated at 140 continous and 175 burst voltage (AC of course). Radio Shack has the same one... but it's not that brand, and only rated as 140. I bought mine at the local "West Marine" for $35. The Radio Shack has their 140 for $50 or more if I remember right.

?