Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Cables 1 vs 2

I've always had a "pet peeve" about stiff throttles. This is the first bike I've had with a "push/pull" 2-cable set up. Is it REALLY necessary? Yeah...I know the whole cable set up is different on this carb but there's still a return spring for the slide anyways.

OK, not that the thing is all that stiff, but removing the "return" cable has got to make it even smoother to operate by reducing friction.

I see that some guys on the KXF/RMZ forum have done this to lighten up their throttle pull without (apparently) any ill effects. Anybody done this on their CRF/X?

I wouldn't do it. The reason it is a push/pull setup is because 4 strokes develop high vacum in the carb which can lead to slide lock. You need the positive closing of the push cable to ensure the slide doesn't get stuck open and cause a major wreck.

Besides, the throttle pull is so light anyway. 😢

its lawyer liability bs only.the fcr has a vacuum release plate.the throttle cannot stick becuase of the engine vacuum.

i have put single pull throttles on tons of bikes with the fcr carb (inlcuding both of mine) with zero issues.

I was thinking about that when i had my 02 450.I think i will give it a try for this weekend.

Besides, the throttle pull is so light anyway. 😢

I know it's not all that bad, but I have an ongoing battle with tendonitis in my right arm and every little bit helps. I used to actually take the springs out of my carbs and cut a couple of loops out of them to soften it up...never ever had any problems with that set up and it made the throttle pull effortless.

you cant just remove the push cable from the stock throttle.the pull cable will be able to move around in the housing with out the other to hold it in place.you will need to fabricate a spacer or cut the elbow off the push cable to keep the pull cable in place.

ok ,I did this mod. I removed the push cable and evertyhing went back together fine. But now there is a loud vibrating noise that sounds to be coming from the carb. It is very loud. But also, everything works perfectly, no problems with the throttle or anything, just the very loud vibrating noise? Anyone know what it could be.