Sign in to follow this  

04-R to 05-R conversion project

A buddy of mine put some of the 05 parts on his 04. He got an 05 head and cam and put it all together with new Honda valves, springs, etc. He also has the Twin air powerflo kit and Pro-Circuit Ti-4 exhaust. Jetting was changed to match. I rode his bike and it has more bottom end than my 05 but revs a little less on top. It actually felt similar to a stock 05 KXF but a little more grunty and not quite as much of a hit.

We then put the CDI box from my 05 on his bike. I didn't get a chance to ride it, but he said it wasn't as good. He said even less revs and heavier engine braking.

He also put the lower fork tubes from the 05 on his bike and likes the cornering better.

Ignition curves can make a big difference. Is anyone running a Vortex on their R?

Having more bottom and less top than your 05 could be a direct result of the Pro Circuit Ti-4 Pipe.

Yeah, could be, I don't know. I didn't try his bike with the stock exhaust. But I would tend to think that a more open/loud exhaust would generally help top end and not bottom. 😢

Yeah we ran the vortex last year and we are going to run it again next year. I think it's awesome but then I run mine with custom curves. 😢

Yeah,I am also running a vortex .And to my supprise it works great.With the setup i am running i had a lot of low to mid but took away from top,When i put the vortex on i got back To quote Buzz lightyear infinity and beyond.In other words got top back.It is worth the money,Plus i got it used at half price.