Sign in to follow this  

New DR350S owner

Today or tomorrow I'll be picking up a 91 DR350 to introduce myself to the wonderful world of off road riding. I was looking at other more expensive alternatives but with so many other hobbies and riding to do I'm just not sure it's best to sink a lot more money into something newer at this point.

And my wife is also getting a 99 DR350S to join in the fun. Her's is electric start of course and she paid a lot more than I am but her's has only an original 640 kms on the odo! It literally looks like new.

I'm busy reading the background 350 threads to get caught up with the issues relating to these bikes. I'd like to complement the lot of you for posting some very worthwhile reading.

Long live the dinosaurs! 😢

Hey BC, congrats! Same bike as mine, a solid little animal...may I suggest that you spend the $25 on knee and elbow pads if you're going to be aggressive at all? You won't regret it!! 😢 :cry: 😢 Riding boots are nice but not totally necessary, and of course helmet/goggle and gloves.

Enjoy! I'm about to hit 50,000 miles on my 1993 DR-350s in a week or so, and another guy on here tells me he has over 145,000 miles on one.

Fun bike. Not great at any one thing, but good at lots of stuff - a great bike for exploring where roads may be just about anything....

...Fun bike. Not great at any one thing, but good at lots of stuff - a great bike for exploring where roads may be just about anything....

That's what I gathered in looking up info about the wife's bike that she made the deal on last weekend. Much like the Honda XR400 in that respect. Not an adrenaline machine by any measure but a good solid exploring tool that won't be totally out of it's element when the mud gets deep or the trail narrows and winds. Speed is secondary to me and jumping is so far down the list that I need binoculars to read it.

Gear is next on the list. I do some very elementary North Shore style mountain bike riding (a 2 to 3 foot drop is max for me) and I know the value of armor. Full MX boots to save me if the bike falls on my leg and I'd like to get some knee braces right off the bat BEFORE I hurt myself need to get them.

Just heard that the owner will drop the papers off at the shop tomorrow (consignment sale) so I've taken the day off work to pick it up, plate it and go for a first ride. It's supposed to be sunny and mild so it should be fun. And if I just happen to pass a big excavated field or two....... 😢

Good choice for what you want. I picked up a '96 a little over a year ago. After a few rides you will want to do a little suspension work but a couple hundred bucks can make a big difference.

Check out this site for more good info http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/

Hope you have as much fun as I am. 😢

Gear is next on the list. I do some very elementary North Shore style mountain bike riding (a 2 to 3 foot drop is max for me) and I know the value of armor. Full MX boots to save me if the bike falls on my leg and I'd like to get some knee braces right off the bat BEFORE I hurt myself need to get them.

Hey BC...

Check this out...not the BEST helmet, but for what it's worth! Gonna get my daughter a set after I finish selling some other hobby stuff.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=PKG%2DOCELOT%2DSUPER&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D492%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CPackage%20Deals&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1016%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2COcelot%20Package%20Deals&Gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=9773F4044F4D47B1A14A14662FA6859E

That's a smoking deal, probably not the best boots either, but better than nothing....

I agree, it IS a smoking deal. But I've got odd shaped feet and would never buy a boot without trying it on first.

When I bought ski boots a few years back I found that only one or two brands and models fit me decently. Same when I went shopping for sportbike boots.

No bike papers yet so no riding. And it's supposed to be raining all weekend. Oh well, I've got other stuff lined up and wouldn't be able to ride anyway..... sigh.....

IT'S HERE ! ! !

Spent much of the evening puttering with a few things to make it fit, feel and work better. Cables lubed, spring preloads pumped up, checked brakes, etc.

The shop had a problem with the choke circuit and it wouldn't start two days ago when I was there. They fixed that and it started fine at the shop today when I went to get it. I ran it again when I got it home (ran it up and down the back alley a few times to try it out) and then it wouldn't start when I wanted to try a cold start later tonight after puttering with it. I think whatever was in there blocking the choke circuit is still there. I can't smell any gas at the end of the muffler and I know I should if it was getting any gas properley through the choke. I'm nost sure what they did to fix it but I think I'll be pulling the carb for a full on cleaning.